Forced to use Adaptive for PhysicsSteppingMethod specifically in production Adopt Me!

Reproduction Steps

The production version of Adopt Me! does not allow us to change the PhysicsSteppingMethod enum value to anything other than Adaptive. When we try to do it, it automatically resets itself back to Adaptive.

This is specific to the following experience Adopt Me!. There are no issues with setting PhysicsSteppingMethod to another enum value when doing so on another experience including when taking adopt me and uploading a mirror of it to another experience.

The Adaptive setting has unintended side effects on Adopt Me! as the game was not built with this setting in mind.

For example, with Adaptive on this is what ice skating looks like:

This is how ice skating should look like (with Fixed/Default)

Expected Behavior

We expect to be able to set the PhysicsSteppingMethod enum to something other than Adaptive

Actual Behavior

When attempting to set the PhysicsSteppingMethod enum to something other than Adaptive it automatically overrides regardless of what enum value is selected.

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Other
Impact: Very High
Frequency: Constantly

6 Likes

Hey, super sorry for the issue. I’m looking into this right now.

4 Likes

This seems to be resolved now! Thank you!

2 Likes

This appears resolved. Thank you!

Any insights on what happened? Anything we can do in the future to help it?

1 Like

This is happening again for some players but not others. We have received a number of reports of adaptive physics shenanigans with videos attached, but we ourselves have not experienced it. Is it possible certain clients are being forced into adaptive physics or is this guaranteed to be in sync across the server? If so is there something that can be checked on Roblox’s end? There’s no clear way to log what a server’s physics stepping type is since we can’t read the property through code.

2 Likes

Hey EgoMoose, I’m wondering if this issue is still happening? I suspect that this might be due to some users using dated clients. My dashboard tells me we aren’t anymore clients that are reporting with this option turned on, so I would assume this is only impacting a fraction of your users.

You can reach out to me on Discord (Hajimalago#7729) and I can be more responsive. Again, I apologize for the bad experience.

Sounds good. I’ll get in touch if we continue to receive recent reports of users experiencing this issue.

1 Like