Foxer's Incredible Volumetric Light

It’s here!
A new and different volumetric light system that it’s main focus is to create good volumetric lights with high performance, yes, all of that with only 1 GUI.
See the product review here: FIVL Review
!IMPORTANT! The product is in it’s early stage, so expect performance drops.

Update Log:
  • Added a kind of pixel smoother.
  • Added shadows.
  • Added the Rendering Engine FRS.
  • Version: Alpha 0.0.1.

What is to come:

!WARNING! The items down bellow are going to be implemented in different versions, they have a chance to be canceled.

• Add Foxtrot1 Engine.
  • Ability to switch between rendering engines.
  • Add FTRS Engine
  • Release FIVL on the marketplace for an easy setup.
  • Improve performance.
  • Better shadows.
  • Support for multiple light sources.
  • Color blending.
  • New volumetric rendering tech.
  • Better render refresh

Instructions
Engine: FRS

PSR: Pixel Step Rendering tells how much pixels to skip on the rendering process, Example: Pixels={1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9} PSR = 2 Rendered Pixels={1,3,5,7,9}, the lower it gets the better looking/laggy it is.
CR:Range of the Shadow Calculation ray.

Engine: FTRS

Coming Soon!

Engine: Foxtrot1

Coming Soon!

22 Likes

Can you show a few images or vids?

6 Likes

Can you elaborate on how this works or what it does?

1 Like

For anyone wondering how it looks
(it isn’t high performance to me)

2 Likes

Well i guess it’s right to say high performance is the “goal”, there is a lot of work to be done until this can be considered high performance given that I get 22-24 fps with a r7 2700x + rx 6750xt

FIVL’s main goal is performance, and I’m working on the performance part, a performance update is coming soon.

As you can read on the main post FIVL is in it’s early stage, expect some performance improvement sooner.

from the images here I can see you had to use a very complex system for calculating lights, which is impressive, even tho they look very pixelated they are still impressive, hope they can be improved.

1 Like

their pixelation is actually a way to improve performance cause(in this case the images) FIVL isn’t rendering all the pixels, in this case it renders every 4 pixels, then it uses a function to smooth the gaps between the rendered pixels, if you want a less pixelated looking you will need to: lower the pixel’s size(optional) and reduce PRS value to 1 or 2(wich decreases performance a lot).
A good news is that a new rendering engine is being made for FIVL to try to better smooth pixels and remove pixelation.

like some scuffed DLSS or FSR.

1 Like

I’m not sure if you could do the same thing exactly in Roblox, but perhaps try to implement Bounding Volume Hierarchy into the system?

Unless you already have it implemented

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!
I’m currently using raycasting and some functions to transform distance into transparency, I might try to Implement Bounding Volumes Hierarchy when I start the Development of FIVL Foxtrot 2 Engine.

1 Like

Alright‎! ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎

You should’ve used color sequence instead if your aim is performance. Your version is both less performant and worse graphic-wise lol

I know. but the current engine(FRS) uses raycasting to get the shadow effect.
The color sequence method is coming on Foxtrot1.

This isn’t actual rt since that’s not how real rt works so it’s misleading to call it that. What you’re doing is raycasting which is nothing alike. Pls don’t disinform people on what the resource actually does.

Great spelling…
Also for arrays you should not use pairs.

Vector3.new(0,0,0)

replace with Vector3.zero
replace Vector3.new(0,1,0) with Vector3.yAxis.

Also, reuse frames instead of making new ones every frame.

Honestly what sucks the most is that we can’t utilize GPU for this type of operation, the concept is good, but its just extremely laggy. It would be better for sure if it was a shader, but we’re limited with that. (and yes im aware writing shaders is a lot harder, at least what i think)

1 Like

frames aren’t created every frame, just every time the Engine initiates.
thanks for the help, i might implement it.

yeah, if Roblox provided shaders it would be a giant improvement

2 Likes