Frames dropping when standing in a group of people ("physicsStepped" label)

I’ve been having a very difficult time getting this question answered so I’ll post it here.

A game I’m working on, Prison Showdown, is having very bad frame lag issues whenever players are clustered close together. We have each character set to a collision group called “Characters”. We disable collisions between characters so you’re not able to stand on them or anything. My first instinct is to go check the microprofiler to see what is causing the lag. Every time it happens this is always what I see:

A bunch of microprofiler labels called “physicsStepped” appear with the amount increasing proportionally to the number of players clustered together. I did not make these labels so it is not any Stepped or RenderStepped code of mine that is taking a long time to run. Sometimes my framerate drops to as low as 5 frames per second. Does anyone know what causes the “physicsStepped” labels to take that long? And is there anything that I can do to lower it?

2 Likes

Are these players touching each other? Do players have any touched events linked to them?

1 Like

I disabled all client sided touched events in the entire game. I tried again today with player collisions enabled and everyone got much higher average frames when standing in groups touching each other. And when I turn character collisions back off, standing inside of 2 other characters makes FPS drop to 5-10 for me. I’m really starting to think this is a Roblox bug but I’m trying to get some insight from other people before I make a formal bug report.

Were you able to resolve this issue because I am facing a familiar one. My game has npc and sometimes their parts overlap and this leads to hugs FPS drop. It would be a relief if I get a solution.
Thanks in advance.

It depends what you’re checking everytime it fires (mostly).

I recommend Stepped over RenderStepped for this though, as RenderStepped is mainly used for camera-related things.

I have never experienced any framedrops when using Stepped.

I am not using any touch events or anything. In general, if their parts overlap, there is a huge frame drop. There are many threads on the forum highlighting this but no solid solution.

There’s clearly something wrong here, try debugging your code.
(You can just post on your main account btw.)