"Free gamepass" Promotion

So as a promotion to get a game more visits I was planning on doing a promotion, anyway this would basically give all users who joined within a period of time free benefits which will also be available for purchase with a game pass, essentially giving players a free game pass.

The issue is I’m not sure this violates roblox TOS, although it does reward them with the free benefits it doesn’t actually give them the game pass as right now you can’t make gamepasses free.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if it violates TOS but “Free Gamepass” seems a bit off

if the gamepass was VIP and you did a promotion like One week only Free Perm VIP it would make more sense

I think it’s fine in relation to TOS, however I’d change the name to a “free trial” as it more accurately reflects the scheme. Another thing however, it would give everyone playing at that point a boost, now I’m not sure what your game is, but if everyone gets the boost it wouldn’t be prominent in the game as everyone would have it. I like the idea and I recommend you look into the parts of your game that creates unique experience for each player, like a chest or something similar. After all, you want your players to come back, and that’s a fine way to do it!
Hope this helps!

1 Like

The Community Rules state:

• Do not create promotions offering prizes of any sort (including contests, raffles, lotteries, chain letters or any kind of giveaway). It is okay to offer players promo codes for in-game items only so long as they are not in exchange for something (e.g., in exchange for a thumb up on your game).

Yes, you are allowed to giveaway items in-game as long as it is not exchanged for actions such as a ‘thumbs up’, however why would you offer them a prize from an existing gamepass? The users who’ve already purchased this pass will feel ripped-off, and you may even dissuade players from purchasing future gamepasses by creating the image that ‘all gamepasses will become free one day’,

4 Likes

You might just have to award them a badge during this period, as a game pass can’t be purchased for free, and just ensure them that they have the benefits of the game pass already (maybe stop them from purchasing it in game).

Your explanation seems to be giving a wrong impression. Are you basically planning something along the lines of Piranha Plant? (See https://www.ssbwiki.com/Piranha_Plant_(SSBU) ). It’s assumed it will be available for paid DLC later

Instead of doing a free gamepass giveaway you could put a discounted price on the gamepass for a small amount of time(Only for a few days). If you make one gamepass free players may feel discouraged to buy the other passes because they will wait until they become free, meaning that you will end up getting less robux.

Benefits of making passes discounted(for a limited time):

• Players may feel more encouraged to buy the gamepass while it is at a discount because it could be a while until the next sale. Meaning that you will get robux.

• If a player gets a free gamepass they may not feel as encouraged to play the game than if they bought the pass because they aren’t ‘losing anything’ if they don’t play the game.

• Poeple that have bought the gamepass at the discounted price may feel more encouraged the play the game more often because they have spent robux on it meaning that they want to get as much use out of it as possible.

• You aren’t giving out the message that 'all gamepasses will become free one day’ like @ForeverHD said.

• However you are giving the message, ‘gamepasses may become discounted one day’. This may be a good thing because players may want to save their robux up until they become discounted again.

• If you put the gamepasses at a discount price it will allow players that can’t afford the full price of the gamepass to buy it.

• The last benefit of this method is that you are getting robux for getting more players in your game. As if you make the pass free you are getting nothing much from it.

I am fairly certain this ins’t against the rules because you aren’t giving the items away because players still need to buy them. A lot of games outside of roblox put their products at a discounted price to get more people to purchase them and play their game.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but games sometimes do in game promotions. For example, double XP weekend. This helps because more people will play the game in that small amount of time meaning that they may end up playing that game more and buying more products.

4 Likes