Free models outside of Roblox

Hello.
Hope to write in the good section. I am a developer and I make various games not only in Roblox. Roblox has a lot of free models. Can I use these models outside of Roblox? For example, in animations or games on a different game engine? If so, can I make money on this game?

1 Like

I’m not really sure how to answer this. I myself was wondering the same thing! I would probably guess you would have to have a license to use it, or if it was copyright free. I’m not sure about the money making part, but I would guess yes, because it doesn’t really matter what’s in your game. You make money off of people buying things. Hope this helped :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s possible to exports models directly from studio with a simple right click.

1 Like

That is true. But that doesn’t necessarily mean you can use it outside of Roblox. I’ve exported out of Studio into Blender with intent of importing it back into Studio. There may be terms or copyright acts that would legally prevent us from using Roblox assets outside of the platform.

3 Likes

Section 3 of the Terms of Use explains how copyright goes into play with user generated content (UGC), or assets uploaded to Roblox.

If you agree to grant this right, other users may use your UGC to create their own games and other UGC on the Service, and you will not be entitled to any revenue that those other users earn, even if they use your UGC.

This kind of answers your question, but at the same time it doesn’t. I would assume this means you can use it outside of Roblox with explicit written consent of the creator of the asset(s).

1 Like

So we have to wait for roblox to update the terms of usage.

2 Likes

Pretty sure you can’t. IANAL but check Section 6 of the Terms of Service.

(1) Ownership of our Intellectual Property. The visual interfaces, graphics, design, compilation, information, data, computer code (including source code or object code), products, software, services, and all other elements of the Service (" Intellectual Property " or " IP ") are protected by law. All IP contained in the Service is our property or our users’ or third-party licensors’ property. The IP includes UGC that has been licensed to us by our users under Section 6(B)(3) below. Except as expressly authorized by us in these Terms, you may not make use of any IP contained in the Service unless you get separate permission from the owner. We reserve all rights to the IP not granted expressly in these Terms.

(2) 1. License. Subject to your ongoing compliance with these Terms, we grant you a non-exclusive, personal, limited, revocable, non-transferable license to use the Service on compatible devices that you own or control for your personal, entertainment use. This includes the right to download and use software that we make available for download as part of the Service, in object code form only. This software is licensed, not sold, to you for use only pursuant to the Terms and only in connection with your use of the Service.

Roblox Terms of Service. Accessed 19 January 2021.

2 Likes