Free mouse movement in forced first person view? - Replicating Roblox Studio Movement System

I’m trying to recreate a camera system like the one used in Roblox Studio. To achieve this, I set the player in forced first-person view and edit the camera CFrame to move.
Everything works well, but there’s a problem: the player’s mouse is locked to the center of the screen. This means you can’t select buttons or in-game objects, and that is essential for my project.
I found multiple questions similar to this, but people always recommend using an invisible button with the “Modal” property active. In a way it works, it unlocks the mouse, but then the player can’t rotate the camera (using right-click pan).
I don’t want to press a key to enable/disable the mouse-lock every time as that would be annoying while playing. I’m sure everyone is familiar with how to move in Roblox Studio, I just need to replicate that in the actual game, but the mouse-lock prevents me from selecting things.

1 Like

The solution I found so far: I can set the minimum and maximum zoom to something very small, but higher than the first-person view. This enables the mouse without enabling camera zoom and should work just fine.

1 Like