[Free Plugin] Selection Saving/Loading

Plugin Link:
Plugin

Description:
This plugin allows you to easily save groups of objects as selections, and load them again for later use. This is useful for if you have a large group of objects you often have to modify, and this plugin allows you to save this group of objects and select them with one click.

How to use

Example place:

Creating a new selection
  1. Select all parts that you want to be in the group:

2. Set the name of a new group:

3. Click “Save Current Selection”:

4. You can now recall this selection at any time by clicking “Select” next to your group name:

You can update a group at any time by using the same name. This will overwrite the old group with your current selection.

This plugin saves selections to each place and user individually using CollectionService. This somewhat glitches on unpublished places, as multiple unpublished places can have the same placeId. The plugin still works fine, but some additional groups may show up even if they haven’t been created in that place.

3 Likes

What about folders/models + select all children, isn’t this kind of just extra work

2 Likes

An example from my usecase:
I am working on maps with thousands of pointlights that all need to be the same color, etc. Whenever I change one, I have to change all of them, but that requires going through multiple select all children steps each time because the pointlights are inside multiple layers of parts/models/folders [game.workspace.Lighting.Light.Part.PointLight], and because selections in roblox studio aren’t very well optimized, it creates a lot of lag and extra delay. With this plugin, once I set up a selection group, I can do this in one click.
Another example is finding parts. I have a couple parts in the map at key locations that would otherwise be difficult to locate through Explorer. With this plugin, I can just select that part instantly through the menu.
It’s just a little QoL plugin, and honestly only becomes super useful in maps with high object counts, or with weird part ancestry.

2 Likes

Oh, makes sense. If I were a map builder or something I’d probably organize it something like this

1 Like

Yeah, the main issue organizing it like that is a lot of things (especially pointlights) need to be parented to a BasePart or Attatchment to function. Those point lights would each have to be put in their own part to be able to provide illumination, as PointLights don’t have an adornee or source property that would allow them to be placed in 3d space. This is the main reason why you’d have to use Select All Children multiple times.

1 Like