Freebuilding game - against TOS?

Hi there, I wanted to get some confirmation on a game that I’m working on developing.

I was thinking about making a game where users can build anything using basic parts (cubes, spheres, wedges, etc) using the classic build tools. These parts will save permanently using DataStores and will show up for other users.

I have concerns about whether or not this could violate the Roblox ToS. If a player were to abuse this system and build something inappropriate, would action be taken against my group or me?

Following the ROBLOX rules will be encouraged in-game, and we’ll be banning players and removing inappropriate builds as they are found. However, I’d also like to have Private Server support (where new private builds can be created), and it’ll obviously be more difficult to moderate content there.

Are there any other concerns I should have involving the ToS with this style of game? Thank you guys for your time.

You should add an option to report a player’s build. To answer your question, it is not against TOS.

2 Likes

Aslong as you moderate it, add report and block function, it should be ok.

From what I know, when you don’t have any control over what the Player may do, you don’t have any problem, so as long as you add a way to moderate a build you should be good, as you don’t have any Control over what they do

How would you be able to moderate a build?

I was planning on hiring some moderators, having a Discord where reporting could be a feature, and generally just keep an eye on what gets built in the game. Mods can go in-game and delete parts, or we can delete them in-studio in bulk

Freebuild games have been around for more than a decade on the platform. You should encounter no issues whatsoever as you are not encouraging the creation of malicious content.
As others have pointed out, a report system would be something to consider. I’d also include in your experience description and in-game that creating malicious content may lead to account moderation.

As for private servers, seeing as they won’t be open to the public there is no cause for concern there.

3 Likes

You could simply delete the Datastore, delete the build and punish the Player instead of deleting everything block-per-block

Yep, that’s an option as well, that was part of what I meant by deleting in-studio

1 Like

I think it would be better if you had an Admin Panel instead of having to go trough it in Studio, it might be a bit hard to find it after that

Might be right, but I’ll figure that out. I’m just glad to hear some confirmation this wouldn’t be against ToS

1 Like

If you ever need ideas, I’m always here

1 Like

I would give a tool where you can hover over the build and see who placed the object, then report them if they broke any rules.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.