Frequent crashes when working with MeshParts (possibly SurfaceAppearances)

I haven’t touched Roblox in a few months, in the week or two I’ve been back I’ve been having extreme difficulty working on my games with SurfaceAppearance textures due to frequent crashes. Unusually, Studio is crashing in such a way that doesn’t produce a report or even offer to reopen the game.

The moments at which Studio crashes is very inconsistent, typically after doing either of the following:

• Copying and pasting a SurfaceAppearance into a MeshPart (sometimes crashes upon deselecting)
  • Modifying several maps of a SurfaceAppearance

The only Beta I have enabled besides Advanced SurfaceAppearance Textures is Indoor Dynamic Environment Map, although I have reproduced the issue with it off. I have already updated Studio and restarted my computer for good measure, no avail.

I’m willing provide my heaviest SurfaceAppearance game, which causes the most frequent crashes upon staff request to share in a private message.

On an iMac running iOS Catalina, version 10.15.7.

2 Likes

@dragonfrosting I’ll DM you to get more details.

3 Likes

Hello! We’ve been unable to repro the issue. Does it still occur? Thanks!

Yes I’m still experiencing this issue, @fnublox (tagging for update) has been assisting me, although pinpointing this issue has been tremendously difficult due to Studio shutting down unexpectedly; no useful crash reports or logs. Often so unexpectedly that it doesn’t clean up rbxl.lock files.

I believe the issue is strongly related to MeshParts now, specifically whenever one is updated since I had just discovered that changing the MeshId of a MeshPart also causes crashes. Working with normal Parts doesn’t seem to trigger anything.

I’m still trying to determine other crash triggers, also a little difficult because I’m also going through vision problems. So far MeshParts and SurfaceAppearances are the leading ones, but I’m afraid I still can’t prove any significant correlation.

EDIT: a correction for fnublox, Studio still crashes with both Environment Scales at 0. I don’t really believe EnvMaps are causing this.

Hello @dragonfrosting , are you still occuring this issue?

1 Like

The issue has stopped being as frequent after one update, but Studio will still crash roughly every 5-10 minutes, the main triggers now being play testing and saving/loading files.

Thankfully unlike before, working with SurfaceAppearances, MeshParts, and Lighting no longer seem to be immediate triggers.

@dragonfrosting I’ll DM you to get more info.