Frequent Team Create Disconnections on large place

Reproduction Steps

After connecting to a Team Create session on this place: Testing - Roblox the session disconnects after anywhere from ~3 minutes to ~30 minutes.

Expected Behavior

I expect that Team Create will not disconnect after such a short period.

Actual Behavior

Team create disconnects with the message: “You have lost connection to the server…”

TeamCreateDisconneciton

Above is an image of a disconnection that includes an incident ID.

This began happening frequently since last night (7/13/2022), though neither of our devs were on Studio for a few days prior.

The place file is quite large, ~44,192kb as of the most recent local copy.

Additional note:

I have been connected to a smaller Team Create place at the same time as a disconnect occurred from this place on the same network, leading me to believe it is not our local connection cutting out, but a different issue - likely related to the large size of the place.

While it may be possible to reduce the size of the place temporarily - by moving sections of the game to other files while we continue to work - this is not a solution that we feel is sustainable as we do not wish to separate our game into different places when it is published, and at some point everything will need to come back into the same file.

The game does not currently experience issues while in play mode as far as I can tell.

The game is a StreamingEnabled game.

If possible I would like to get confirmation on whether this is being caused by the size of the place or if it seems to be a different cause.

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Connectivity
Impact: High
Frequency: Often
Date First Experienced: 2022-07-13 00:07:00 (-04:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2022-07-14 00:07:00 (-04:00)
A private message is associated with this bug report

10 Likes

Still happening as of today (7/18/2022) - has been happening consistently throughout the weekend as well, notably it seemed to occur less during low traffic times, like late at night.

Here is an additional error that we got once after a disconnect, this was from today:

crashy2

Could also be related to the two recent posts on this old thread:

Also, for whatever reason we have noticed that when we do disconnect we usually seem to ‘roll back’ a decent chunk of time - meaning we will lose maybe ~5 minutes of work after reconnecting. I thought this may be important as usually when Team Create has a ‘normal’ disconnect due to local connection being lost etc. we don’t tend to lose very much.

4 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

5 Likes

Is there any update on this? This has started happening to me recently when working on a game that uses a large terrain file. I paste in the terrain and usually 10-15 minutes later it disconnects me. My Ethernet send spikes to 100Mbps when trying to publish and the publish never gets through. The place file size is 43.5 MB

1 Like

Unfortunately no, I was not able to find a solution for this except reducing the size of the place - which I have now done.

My place was around the exact same size as yours ~45mb when this started happening, and it also began to have disconnections while playing around the same time, so I decided the best thing to do was split the place into multiple games.

It would be nice if this could be fixed, or we could know what exactly causes it beyond “the place is too big”, but it’s been about four months now since it originally started happening and reducing the size seemed to be the only viable option in my case since I was never really able to get much information from Roblox. Hopefully you are in the same boat that you can either reduce the place file size, or split it as well.

4 Likes

Hi @Spectrabox and @heedicalking, thank you so much for your patience and I apologize for the major disruption to your workflow that had lasted for quite a while. Unfortunately, I was unable to locally reproduce the disconnection even after toying around with a large place file and so I will have to rely on your help to further investigate this issue.

It would really help if you can reproduce the disconnection incident and post the following info:

• date & time
  • universeID
  • placeID
  • creatorID
  • brief description of the last action taken on studio before the disconnection occurred (if possible)
  • DM me the associated studio logs

Thank you!

1 Like

closing this topic for inactivity.

1 Like