Further Changes to Playing Ability of Experimental Mode Games

Yeah, Roblox is making these updates and making their developers jump through hoops. They need to give us more streamlined ways to comply with their new rules or updates. It’s like Roblox is making a pizza for everyone and they end up just giving us the raw dough, sauce, and cheese and tell us to figure it out.

6 Likes

You guys need to cancel the active VIP servers for games under Experimental Mode. I’m worried that some users aren’t aware, and will still have their subscriptions running.
@Nightgaladeld

5 Likes

If there’s a way to distance yourself completely from your past, this is it.

13 Likes

I can name nearly 200 Groups that were unprepared for this change and immediately enlisted my assistance converting their games. But I can’t be everywhere, so hopefully the improvements foreshadowed in the June post are inbound soon.

6 Likes

FWIW to everyone here, I wish that we didn’t have to close classic Roblox games.
My hope is that we’ll be trying to turn off experimental mode for these games once some updates are made to FilteringEnabled to make them more compatible.

I was able to port ~24 classic games into FilteringEnabled without much trouble, so I would be happy to help with an initiative to revive these classic abandoned games under the original owner’s account :slight_smile:

28 Likes

This specific change should have definitely been announced wayy beforehand – outside of the DevForum. Clearly, not in a small sentence with ‘may’ in it.
This is all on Roblox.

9 Likes

What about keeping Experimental Mode off when a new place is added to a game?

2 Likes

To add onto this, older games often were in need of resources that weren’t available back then to improve the quality of them. An example of this is easily bullets.

If there’s an old game you (@ anyone) like to play, make a modern version with more polished gameplay. There’s nothing wrong with being inspired.

2 Likes

Everyone knows that it is possible to insert inappropriate images into non-filtered games using thousands of frame gui’s, right? Happened a bunch of times in my game before filtering enabled as a thing.

13 Likes

I’m pretty mixed about this… but, you can’t stop growth.

2 Likes

Please could we have this? Thanks. I get that Roblox is trying to protect our games, but honestly not everyone wants to work with filtering enabled. They know the risks of it or just don’t care as it’s something they’re messing with and would like other people to see rather than their “friends”. If not friends, then at least allow followers over the age of 13 to join.

13 Likes

They also want to protect the players. To do so, they need to force filtering.

1 Like

There’s a difference in using filtering for small things that aren’t really games, and then a game that you intend to maintain a player-base. It wouldn’t be very wise to publish a game without the usage of filtering-enabled in our current day and age. But prototypes or small things? Why bother. It’s not like you’re going to have 1,000 players or more on an empty baseplate with almost nothing but a couple work-in-progresses. Exploiters tend to go for crowded/popular games.

4 Likes

Problem is that it’s the smaller games which you need to worry about. You typically won’t run into exploiters in larger games.

Because working with experimental mode doesn’t make sense. All working without it is, is using remotes, which are a much cleaner, less hacky way of doing things. One example I have is that I played a game before which used guns, and it did the damage to players from a local script. When replicating this change to the server (automatically, since it wasn’t filtering enabled), the server would sometimes decide not to replicate the damage. Experimental mode is unpredictable unless you use remotes, and if you use remotes there’s no problem turning experimental mode off.

I’ve rarely encountered exploiters in popular games. I frequently encounter them in smaller, community-based games. I don’t know where you got this statistic, but based on my personal experience I don’t believe it.

The thing is, this isn’t just breaking old games either. One game I really like that has been running for years by now is unplayable. This isn’t a small game either. Had millions of visits.

5 Likes

Lets not forget that virtually every single showcase ever made is now completely inaccessible. Most builders are not ever aware of FE or would even bother to tick it.

There has got to be some middle ground somewhere.

25 Likes

I played a large amount of Experimental Mode games last night without knowing it would be my last time on them. I agree that this will help enforce Filtering Enabled games, but I’m going to miss playing the classics.

13 Likes

Honestly I think all game should just be forced to be FE, and any restrictions on playing games removed. This way people can still visit old games, only the scripts would all be broken, which I would pretty much expect to be the case anyways.

I don’t see any reason why people would be coding the old way, except out of habit. The difference between the server and client isn’t all that confusing and should be taught really early on in tutorials after all the super basic Lua stuff. Just allowing devs to program their games incorrectly is kind of stupid because it just reinforces bad habits.

13 Likes

At this rate just get rid of Experimental Mode altogether :thinking:
It’s only purpose now is to train bad behavior, why would we even have it anymore if the games can’t be played? It will hurt new developers in the short and long term. They will create their first game, invite a friend, and realize it will not be able to grow past that point and not know why. If i was new and learned to create in Experimental mode at this point I would be rather annoyed when i found out I had to relearn networking because the way I was doing it was not sufficient.

At the minimum please make all new places FE and place the toggle deep in the settings. When someone places a remote in their game for the first time, subtly pop up a link to a video that explains how to use everything. I’m open to hearing why we are keeping Experimental, I realize that I might have a fundamental misunderstanding of the goal of keeping it on Roblox. If i’m right, I would love to know what you plan to do to get rid of Experimental altogether.

Thanks!

• Ben
23 Likes

While I can understand a lot of folks are frustrated that some old games will no longer be available to play, this change is probably in the best interests of the community. Experimental games are extremely vulnerable as the client has the ability to make changes that will replicate onto the server meaning all players will see these changes. This can be extremely dangerous for the community and can expose players to things they do not want to see or should never have to see.

While I’ve seen some really good ideas for middle grounds, I don’t think it is truly worth it for the time and effort so players can play classical games which nobody even payed attention to until this change. Other larger active games will probably be fixed by their developers soon, and Roblox did post that this change would becoming in another announcement. I will admit, perhaps Roblox could have sent out some sort of notification to everyone or make a blog post so that more developers would have seen that this change is coming. But in the end, I think that this is a change that needed to be made for the greater good for the safety of everyone.

5 Likes