Future Is Bright: Phase 1 - Studio beta

I had really similar issues to this with the Clueless lobby, it seems to be a problem with Unions and SurfaceLights, if you move the union around a bit it should fix it. (Sorry for not saying this in an earlier reply @zeuxcg).

If Naco’s problem isn’t this, I know I had this issue when changing the lighting system, there was a massive amount of bloom on any union with a SurfaceLight, by moving the union even 0.01 studs it fixed itself.

2 Likes

Yeah - this is a bug with SurfaceLight that we’re fixing. The fix didn’t make the cut for the update this week but should ship next week.

3 Likes

This is another interesting thing coming out of my studio with Voxel on! This is just when I select a part, the outlines are turning into miniature suns like everything else.

6 Likes

This is amazing! Can’t wait for phase 2 & 3!

Before:

After:

23 Likes

Feels like you can see so much more detail, right??? :face_with_monocle::astonished::hushed:

4 Likes

It’s so easy to make things look better now :heart_eyes:

23 Likes

It looks:

13 Likes

I know I already posted a screenshot of this, but the music and moving stuff really adds to it.

I love this new lighting, just something about it spruces this scene up a lot
(apologies for any lag, I don’t have the most optimized screen capture software)
There are some issues with the neon on the beams “flickering”, not sure what’s causing it though.

47 Likes

Wow! That looks really sci-fi and cool :smiley:

It’d be interesting to see the beams on the sides be affected by the beat of the audio somehow o-o

2 Likes

We have shipped new Studio update (358) today. It applies two significant changes to FIB beta:

• Tonemap is now not altering saturation much. If you liked the old tonemapper you can always adjust Saturation via ColorCorrectionEffect.
  • Neon is using new fully tuned implementation. We expect this to be the final one.

In general, this build has all of the visuals matching the final release except for fog behavior that we’re currently re-evaluating. So short of somebody reporting some crucial issue this is it for phase 1.

We have a bunch of bug fixes, most importantly for Surface Lights and Play Solo, coming to you next week. Please test the new build and report any issues you might have.

Notably, it’s expected that your levels may need minor tuning with Voxel graphics. In general I’ve found that for day time scenes, a good baseline is:

• Change Lighting.Technology to Voxel
  • Set Lighting.Brightness to 2 (instead of 1)
  • If BloomEffect is present in the scene, change the Threshold to 2 (this is the new default for Bloom, we’ll make it the Studio default in next week’s build)

The list of all known issues in the original post has been updated with shipping notes. It will be updated if there are any new bug reports.

Tentatively, we expect the version next week (359) to have all show stopper bugs fixed and to have final visuals except for maybe fog tweaks; the full release of phase 1 would be around 3-4 weeks away from today.

23 Likes

Wow! Thank you, this is some really helpful information and very informative as well.

5 Likes

Once we finalize the look (which is basically almost done), we plan to create a wiki page explaining the behavior change, new property and behavior of existing properties like light brightness, and have guidelines for content adaptation.

16 Likes

We’ll be looking forward to that for sure :open_mouth:

1 Like

New Studio update 359 is out! We’ve fixed all the severe outstanding bugs. I’ve updated the OP accordingly (it has a list of all issues fixed in 359)

We are still working on two things:

• After we released the new build with Neon last week, a developer reached out to us with a level where neon blocks were visibly desaturated. We’re trying to improve this behavior, and also improve the look&feel of neon a bit in general.
  • We discovered an issue where fog with FogStart=0 looks substantially different from how it used to look, and it’s not clear that we like the result more… We’re fixing this to match the old fog behavior for now - we want to revisit how fog is computed but that’ll happen later.

We do not have any other known issues. If you have tested your levels on recent builds and found some issue, please let us know! Barring any unforseen circumstances, we plan to have all visuals finalized in version 361 (that’s the one that ships on Halloween I guess?), and have stage 1 available to all players mid-November.

22 Likes

Slight annoyance here:

World shadows (ones cast by the sun during the day) are brighter than the surrounding light (where the shadow wouldn’t be during the day)

3 Likes

I get a feeling that automatic exposure (once it arrives) and increasing the brightness on that purple light would fix this scene.

1 Like

GG and that’s not even on the highest graphics level. :clap:

1 Like

The new light scatter looks a bit odd compared to the old legacy scatter.

(examples below are a spotlight with brightness = 1 over a baseplate. In pointlights, the effect is even more perceptible)

quake1lighting.rbxl (13.0 KB)

This is making the voxels very apparent on flat surfaces and the lighting feels very “blocky” now. The effect is apparent on bigger radius too.

Also, there seems to be a weird checkerboard pattern that’s being drawn on darker hues, and due to pixel upscaling/downscaling and optical illusions, it looks on my monitor as if there are multiple stripes descending diagonally.

png

I increased the contrast and brightness in the following screenshot so it’s more visible:

Close-up shot (open image for full resolution):

Here’s the same scene in Legacy for comparison. Saturation values are different due to the default tonemapper behavior.

10 Likes

I’d rather not enable automatic exposure to be entirely honest, and I don’t think it’d help very much either. Increasing brightness just makes the “shadow” brighter.

3 Likes

I noticed that with the new lighting, having more lights in one place is the cause of this “glowing” effect on parts and other things. The same thing can be seen when the brightness of lights is set very high, so I guess I will have to do some tweaking across the game when the new lighting is officially released. Other issues that I had previously have been fixed.

In these pictures, there are SurfaceLights from the lights in the ceiling and from the store logo itself.

Legacy lighting

New voxel lighting

2 Likes