Future Is Bright: Phase 1 - Studio beta

Yeah - this is expected. Legacy lighting clamped everything to white - the sum impact of light sources other than sun and outdoor ambient was limited to pure white. This is why in some cases the lighting looked pretty dull. New lighting faithfully respects the input light brightness, so in some cases it requires content tweaks - which is why it’s not on by default for existing places and is optional.

6 Likes

I’m not sure I understand what I’m looking at. Mind PMing me the scene file?

1 Like

Re: noise - this is an artifact due to how we encode HDR data. We plan to switch to a different color format (in fact, it’s one of the big reasons we had to remove support for “black neon”) that should fix this. I think we will ship phase 1 without this change but will follow up with it soon after.

Re: voxelization - this one is hard. Lack of contrast in the old lighting was hiding the voxelization. We might experiment with making this better but it’s not clear how much better this can be unless we want to pay a relatively large cost.

4 Likes

Is this normal behavior for neon now? I’m using the new Voxel technology in Lighting. It seems to be flickering in studio whilst not in game and also in game.

5 Likes

That is low quality neon. It will flicker a bit. If you switch to higher graphics quality you will have very stable neon.

However this looks too shaky, could you please send me your scene?

1 Like

Sure thing, I’ve noticed that the flickering effect increases as my ROBLOX Studio client gets laggier. I’ve had problems with ROBLOX Studio for some time now, I have to keep on closing out of it to make it run faster. It gets slower and slower every time I ‘Play Solo.’ I think there may be a memory leak somewhere?

Anyway, this is the scene I used for the picture above.

e.rbxl (13.7 KB)

1 Like

FINNALY! I awaited this for SO LOONG!

1 Like

Also, here’s an important question:

Will the new lighting updates coming out in a month or so fix the issue where viewing the world at a certain angle makes everything have a shadow casted over it? It’s an issue I’ve noticed with the previous lighting engine that drops 20-30 FPS everytime it happens.

not sure if it’s intended, but all neon material parts seem to have “degraded” to the old look

This is how it looked few days ago:

This is how it looks today:

3 Likes

This is expected. We wanted to give you more options. You can still get the previous look if you change to colors to have more white in it.
We hope that this will be the final neon, unless you guys won’t like it of course… Please explore and tell us your feedback.

(the shape of glow will improve with later releases, but the colors should stay pretty much same)

6 Likes

Oh, cool!
Lowered the saturation from 232 to 166 and it looks quite the same:

While I was trying it out, I noticed the glow kinda “pixelates” once I move away from it:
Is there any chance it could have some “Anti-Aliasing” done to it? edit:Or did you mean just that when talking about glow shape improvements? :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

Release 360 that went out today changes neon behavior for what should be the last time. No other notable fixes. We’re basically there.

Here’s the list of known issues:

• Fog doesn’t look the same between Voxel & Legacy - we’ll fix this next week.

• Fog doesn’t work correctly with particles - we’ll fix this next week.

• We’re considering doing a last-minute tweak to the tonemapper that will change the color balance a bit but will improve color clipping under some lighting conditions. If this does happen, it’ll happen next week.

• In dark areas of the maps under some lighting conditions you see a bit of noise. We plan to fix this after we release this feature globally.

• In some lighting conditions on some levels with WaterTransparency=1 water is very bright. We plan to fix this after we release this feature globally.

• We have discovered some small issues with the neon implementation - fixing these makes neon glow look nicer so we’re looking into fixing this. This will happen after we release this feature globally.

• We have discovered some small issues with the sun rays implementation; we plan to improve the way sun rays look & behave. This will happen after we release this feature globally.

Basically, we have a couple of visual artifacts that we will fix after the feature is fully enabled - fixing these shouldn’t negatively affect the look of any content so we don’t want to delay the release for the fixes to become available.

If you have a visual issue that you consider a bug that’s not listed here, please inform us about this ASAP so that we can plan accordingly.

18 Likes

This isn’t really awfully critical, but neon appears to lose glow completely when behind or inside transparent parts.

3 Likes

I believe it’s somewhat intended, since semi-transparent objects usually “filter” some of the light. Although I sometimes find it troublesome if I’m using neon for some effects which I wouldn’t want to disappear after put behind a transparent part.

4 Likes

Release 361 that went out today contains the final tonemap change that slightly rebalances the tonemapper in the Voxel mode to have better response for really bright values. This means that there’s a bit of a change in hue/saturation that it introduces, but it’s pretty minor. We don’t anticipate further changes to tonemap or neon color behavior. We also have fixed the fog behavior - that should be final as well.

Here’s the list of remaining known issues. All of them are likely going to be fixed after the phase 1 goes fully live.

• In dark areas of the maps under some lighting conditions you see a bit of noise.
  • On levels with WaterTransparency=1 and Lighting.Brightness=10 water is very bright.
  • We have discovered some small issues with the neon implementation - fixing these makes neon glow look nicer so we’re looking into fixing this. The fix should affect the glow shape but not the color.
  • We have discovered some small issues with the sun rays implementation; we plan to improve the way sun rays look & behave.

If you have a visual issue that you consider a bug that’s not listed here, please inform us about this ASAP so that we can plan accordingly. You should expect that the levels made with phase 1 today will look the same throughout the final phase 1 release (with the exception of bug fixes, like the water issue above).

35 Likes

I couldn’t do this before. Thank’s yall for the awesome work. https://i.imgur.com/AevbUGk.gifv

9 Likes

I finally got around to playing with this and let me say, it is amazing. This map I’m working on feels so immersive with the new engine that it’s literally a pleasure to work on it, just to see how it looks with the new lighting.

The problem is that I’ve had to basically redo all the visuals for my game to work with this system. Some of the differences are drastic between the legacy engine and voxel one, so I must postpone my next update until FIB is available on the client.

I’m wondering if it’s worth it to wait or if FIB on the client is still far into the future. Thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Heads up, Humanoid names and AlwaysOnTop = true GUIs appear extra dark in Voxel mode due to a bug. This should be fixed in the next release.

EDIT: This is now fixed.

15 Likes

I was wondering why names were kinda dark haha

3 Likes

I set the setting to Voxel in studio, but it’s still not enabled when published. Any idea when this will be out?

3 Likes