Future Is Bright: Phase 2 Released

Glad that phase 2 has come, great work!!!

Okay, now let’s get down to business.

Just wanted to sneak in a couple pics of a project ive been making for the past couple days to showcase the new shadowmap lighting.

https://gyazo.com/e2a60e94f70d1bdfbb2aff1a52ee07a2.mp4

Very nice indeed! One might even say its better than unity now :smile:
Keep up the good work whoever is on the team that manages FiB :slightly_smiling_face:

35 Likes

The picture you showed is beautiful… it doesn’t even look like Roblox at this point. It shows how much the game’s graphics has evolved throughout the years.

4 Likes

May I ask how this is effectively achieved without making the lighting look choppy?
What’s meant with short bursts?

4 Likes

I can’t find a video online but what Skyrim does roughly is it moves the sun by a few degrees every minute or so; the movement is done over a few seconds so it’s relatively smooth. It’s not ideal obviously; we’re investigating improvements to the low quality behavior that would improve the performance even if the sun is continuously moving, but right now this is the only feasible workaround.

14 Likes

Awesome, thank you for your swift reply! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ShadowMap is finally released? That’s great news to hear :smiley:

4 Likes

First Minecraft gets all those new shaders, now Roblox. What’s next, Terraria Ultra HD 4K 3D graphics?

15 Likes

Are there any plans to fix the loss of colour depth in both Voxel and ShadowMap?

The one thing that bothers me is how many details you lose in darker colours using Voxel. Different lower greys quickly becomes one solid colour, or even a flat black. The greyscale spectrum is a bit too dark imho, which I think you can see well in this example, here. The colours from left to right are
(15, 15, 15), (26, 26, 26) (38,38,38):

Legacy

Compatibility

Voxel (Far too dark! Almost all detail gone.)

Generally, Voxel and ShadowMap are a lot darker which are a massive deal breaker for me personally. My game really focuses on letting players customize themselves to a deep extent, and with the loss of colour detail, this becomes insanely problematic.

24 Likes

I agree. The curve is like a right angle now and the subtle changes in lightness for color on my character customization clothing (to keep the different grays and black from fusing into each other) fuse into each other

From 0,0,0 to 30,30,30 all look black, and every other shade is indistinguishable for the next 10,10,10 above it

Though, I do know of a legacy lighting setup with color correction found by CloneTrooper1019 that can perhaps fix it~

6 Likes

I’m aware of that colorcorrection trick but that gives a weird fog in dark scenes. We shouldn’t have to do hacky stuff (the 318,318,318 tint) to get proper brightness settings. This should be fixed on the default settings.

7 Likes

No! That’s not roblox!

(All Jokes aside, I love your style. It’s so surreal!!)

8 Likes

When will point light, spot light, and surface light be able to cast shadows?

1 Like

Artificial light sources will have shadows in phase 3.

6 Likes

Its beautiful! This lighting means a big change for Roblox! Imagine roblox in 5 years with what’s coming and this OMG! Roblox has no limits, I found some games a few days ago that look like they were from REAL life, really roblox is AWESOME, This should be known by all the people

Here some of my constructions with this new lighting,
My constructions are not the best but they are fine :slight_smile:

I :heart: ROBLOX

28 Likes

This is absolutely amazing. Years ago I would have never have guessed that Roblox graphics would get to this. If this is what Roblox graphics look like now I wonder what it will come to in a few years.

8 Likes

It’ll be amazing to see future projects using these implemented features! It’s just amazing already! I can see a realism being easier to work with on Roblox.

3 Likes

I love this. How do you make it look so good :wink: . I never thought Roblox Graphics would get this good… But look at it… It is… AMAZING!

5 Likes

Awesome update this Looks So Beautiful.

2 Likes