Future Is Bright: Phase 2 Released

This is awesome! I can’t wait until phase 3.

3 Likes

This is a really exciting update! I can’t wait to use it in my games, updates like this have progressively gone out over the past few months, and shows how much ROBLOX is pushing their graphics.This is one of many big steps coming forth from them! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I’m doing an update of my Roblox game to put the lighting in addition to adapt it for the one that looks good.

Here are some screenshots of how Future Is Bright is in my game:

1:

2:

Looks good :smile:

10 Likes

One of the most amazing updates i’ve seen as far. Trule amazing!!

6 Likes

Oooh pretty, but how will it affect low-end computers?

2 Likes

Sorry for the late reply but as a user of a pretty low-end computer I can say that it works pretty well you would just have to lower your graphics by 1 at most usually.

1 Like

Loving it, looks more realistic some of my buildings.

1 Like

Quick update, we’ve identified one unexpected significant performance issue that depends on the GPU vendor and driver version; we will be fixing that next week, as well as adjusting settings to not cast shadows on quality 3 temporarily. We also have a few extra performance fixes that will require a bit more time to implement but should improve performance on low-end systems and low quality levels further. For now please follow the performance guidelines outlined in the original post.

21 Likes

I’ve been following tfib since hack week 2015 with the colored lights test and now its live in some capacity.
I absolutely love the current update as adds so much depth to places that once felt devoid of life and detail!

My western scenery looks stunning

My only grievance is with the specularity of character bodies (as visible in second image). Characters are the one thing that aren’t catching up quite well in my opinion. I look so shiny and out of place since I’m plastic and flat. Rthro exacerbates the current issue by making me look like a straight up action figure.

Current idea that would add years of longevity to the current character system if it were possible: The ability to have specular maps, normal maps, and maybe even parallax maps for clothing and parts in general. (perhaps in that last quarter custom material rollout? :eyes: pretty please)

Avatar clothing system: Specular & normal map support?

• Support
  • No support

0 voters

28 Likes

This is… Insane! I can’t wait for phase 3! ShadowMap is already a huge step for Roblox developers as it will allow us to create more realistic games! This is just… mind blowing!

2 Likes

I love how the shadows are, thanks :yum:

1 Like

Glad that phase 2 has come, great work!!!

Okay, now let’s get down to business.

Just wanted to sneak in a couple pics of a project ive been making for the past couple days to showcase the new shadowmap lighting.

https://gyazo.com/e2a60e94f70d1bdfbb2aff1a52ee07a2.mp4

Very nice indeed! One might even say its better than unity now :smile:
Keep up the good work whoever is on the team that manages FiB :slightly_smiling_face:

35 Likes

The picture you showed is beautiful… it doesn’t even look like Roblox at this point. It shows how much the game’s graphics has evolved throughout the years.

4 Likes

May I ask how this is effectively achieved without making the lighting look choppy?
What’s meant with short bursts?

4 Likes

I can’t find a video online but what Skyrim does roughly is it moves the sun by a few degrees every minute or so; the movement is done over a few seconds so it’s relatively smooth. It’s not ideal obviously; we’re investigating improvements to the low quality behavior that would improve the performance even if the sun is continuously moving, but right now this is the only feasible workaround.

14 Likes

Awesome, thank you for your swift reply! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ShadowMap is finally released? That’s great news to hear :smiley:

4 Likes

First Minecraft gets all those new shaders, now Roblox. What’s next, Terraria Ultra HD 4K 3D graphics?

15 Likes