Future Is Bright: Phase 2 Released

I absolutely love the lighting. My only question is, does the lighting for non-compatible devices default to Compatibility or Legacy, because from what I can see in my game, it does not look like Voxel on non-compatible devices, which seems like a strange decision considering ShadowMap resembles Voxel a lot more.

Update: Windows 10 Edition seems to be on ShadowMap and phone seems to be on Voxel (can’t tell for certain if it is Voxel or ShadowMap) but this solves my issue.

8 Likes

Yeah… apparently when playing a game with Technology.ShadowMap on mobile devices it falls back to Technology.Legacy, which is especially weird because like @frostmario2 said ShadowMap is based off of Voxel. Is there a reason for this?

6 Likes

I need live shadows cast from all objects, light rays and glare from lighting object/sources.

:heart_eyes: Imagine being able to have light rays coming off a car’s front lights with a slight glare through things like glass. :heart_eyes:

12 Likes

The realism updates are my favorite, this is so inspiring to get back into deving, I love it!

5 Likes

Looks like it’s time to reverse one of my day/night cycle script into a less smooth form.

Really, at first glance using the smooth form, I could notice shadows ‘jolting’.

4 Likes

:weary:

33 Likes

Oh my god. YES. I’M SO EXCITED AND I JUST CAN’T HIDE IT!

2 Likes

This is seriously amazing. I can see a bright future ahead of Roblox. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

A M A Z I N G
This will make showcase games a lot better!

2 Likes

YES! Excited for Phase 3! Once Phase 3 is out, I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference apart from real life and Roblox. :wink:

8 Likes

I look forward to trying it out. My games will look a lot more better with this.

4 Likes

This is awesome for photorealism showcase! I can’t wait to see the final phase! It reminds me of 2008-2013 cast shadows! Kudos to Roblox engineers for developing the shaders!

5 Likes

I took some photos of my theme park using shadow mapping, thought it made the park look a lot nicer.

(🎢 Theme Park Blox World - Roblox)

(Never realised this was a topic, moving it over. Gonna upload more photos later!)

37 Likes

Awesome work! I can’t wait to see games use this!

3 Likes

Looks great! Definitely excited for this, can’t wait for phase 3.

4 Likes

When I was playing around in studio, I was amazed with FIB Phase 2. I am quite impatient for Phase 2.5 and Phase 3.

10 Likes

Thank you SOOOOO much for the update! I can’t wait to use this in my games!

4 Likes

I believe that this is a leap in Roblox history! The realism in this lighting update is much better now. I can’t wait to implement this in my games!

8 Likes

Now we can make games that dont even look like they come from roblox. This is great! (Yes, we could before, but now it’s so much easier)

7 Likes

This is very inspiring! Now what to create next?:thinking:

5 Likes