Future Is Bright: Phase 2 Released

Sunrises are just breathtaking with Shadow Map…

Sunsets, too!

41 Likes

Looks amazing! An update that was worth waiting for ever since it was first showcased in the hack week 2016. When will mobile support for FiB be coming? Will higher-end mobile devices (such as the iPad Pro, for instance) get the shadowmap support as well?

5 Likes

Yes, Xbox and mobile support are coming later this month as stated before.

3 Likes

I hope someone makes a plugin or script that utilities this :slight_smile: . Would be so useful for people who don’t know what values to set them to

2 Likes

Feature/Change request although I don’t actually know what impact these shadows are having on performance.

Shadows don’t turn off until graphics level 2, would turning them off sooner help reduce lag? I’ve noticed sunrays go away at only level 8. I did notice shadow render distance goes down, but how much effect does this have? What if they completely turned off around graphics 5?

I’m assuming a lot of lag complaints are from placebo effects. When you tell people you’re improving the graphics, they instantly assume lag.

14 Likes

This seems cool but I have not gotten this to work. But I will be making a map to just test it and see if I can make it work and to see how it looks for me. As before I never gotten it to work

This feature looks amazing.

17 Likes

I’m breathless

41 Likes

Reducing shadow distance is moderately effective, but on levels with constantly moving sun direction this doesn’t help as much as we’d like. We plan to both tweak the minimum level where the shadows start to show up, and reduce the performance impact for cases where the distance is short even further - this will happen in the coming weeks.

3 Likes

That looks amazing! I’m curious though, is it all mesh (I’m guessing the plant is)? Or is some CSG?

1 Like

Judging by the flat shading on the side of the container, I would say it’s meshes.
(public service announcement - use smooth vertex shading for smooth surfaces, it looks better!)

If that is CSG though, it’s very detailed and precise.

4 Likes

Pretty cool, but I did find this one annoying issue with my builds,

Some shadows uh, still appear even if a block is blocking the sun or where ever the shadow comes from.

21 Likes

The level geometry might be too thin. What does the other side of the wall not casting shadows look like? I know I’ve also had problems like this where the geometry is only one-sided (not sure what the actual term for it is).

2 Likes

Looks fantastic!

97 Likes

This new lighting takes Developing and playing on ROBLOX to the next level. With this the developing potential for games has just expanded by a lot. Very happy with this update.

2 Likes

Next stop: Phase 2.5 :wink:. Seriously though, I’m already super hyped for Phase 3. Can’t wait for custom normal and specular maps either :smiley:!

1 Like

Such a great feature that continues to help support realism inside of roblox! Can’t wait for phase 3!

3 Likes

Phase 2 looks gorgeous.

Images

Haven’t played this game properly since early 2018 lol:

Other than that:

We’ve come a long way :smiley:

1 Like

The shadows are nothing new if you downloaded the beta on github a while back. However, this is so exciting to see live games with these new amazing shadows! My game I’m working on really does look a lot better with shadows!

39 Likes

I cannot believe my eyes.
The picture doesn’t look like ROBLOX at all.

5 Likes