Future Is Bright: Phase 2 Released

Just as a reminder, Roblox would never consider any non real-time features like baking graphical effects like shadows or Ambient occlusion, as anything that doesn’t run in real-time is contradictory to their companies vision and goal.

5 Likes

All I can think of right now is using the Post Processing effects such as ColorCorrectionEffect to adjust the darker tones. Perhaps try playing with properties like contrast and the Lighting properties?

I do so, I use the presets @Maximum_ADHD shared on Twitter and some tweaking with the Lighting properties.

2 Likes

Nice work, stay as you are :+1:

1 Like

The new lighting futures that I have implanted into our group, everyone loves it. They told me it looks like GFX, There is some Shadow bugs, but I’ll debug my game to see.

3 Likes

This looks awesome! Really motivating to create some cool things as a new developer on ROBLOX. Great to see how the platform is coming along, definitely hoping we’ll get specular maps in the future!

1 Like

Amazing!
It just shows how much ROBLOX has improved over the years

4 Likes

Never too late to flex, eh? xD

24 Likes

Bro you can hit a Zuhn with all those Source Meshes!

1 Like

Nice, keep up the good work! I can’t wait to see more on what you and other people create with the use of ShadowMap!

2 Likes

another fib build

can we just admire how hot fib is making our games?

11 Likes

This is the reason i started developing on Roblox, it is becoming more and more realistic and boundry-less!

Will it be possible to get sharp shadows with accurate darkness on semi-transparent parts in the future? Shadowmaps only work with parts that have transparency lower than 0.75 and they are either fully dark or non-existent.

5 Likes

This isn’t even Roblox anymore and I love it.

10 Likes

can’t wait for phase 3

6 Likes

I hope Compatibility and Voxel remain

2 Likes

We have no plans to remove either Compatibility or Voxel modes. They are both valuable - Compatibility tries to preserve the behavior of content made for the old lighting system as much as possible, and Voxel has maximally consistent visuals across all platforms and devices we support. We’d love it if developers adopted ShadowMaps but we don’t insist on this being the only mode.

8 Likes

Great! Some of my favorite games use Legacy, glad to see that staying. Anyways, can’t wait for Phase 3!

1 Like

Will semi-transparent objects ever cast accurate shadows? I have a few maps with tinted windows and switching from voxels just simply isn’t possible for me as of right now, even though there are no other reasons not to.

3 Likes

Maybe. We have rough ideas on how to integrate this cleanly into shadowmaps, but we haven’t prototyped it yet so we don’t know if these ideas work.

16 Likes