Future Is Bright: Phase 2 Released

The picture is an example from the Godot engine. I was just wondering if you could implement contact shadows for parts close to a surface that are too small for the shadow map, or for neat view model shadows like Far Cry 5.

If you do include it can you make it a per part toggle property with a drop down menu with extra properties for fine tuning? If it’s too much to ask for it’s okay because the work that’s already been done is amazing and I can’t wait for phase 3!

16 Likes

Physics engine is neat if you have experience of working with it. Most of the complaints I hear about the community about the “physics” are complaints about “Humanoid physics”, which are a different thing in general. Could use some improvement in some areas though, for example the complete physics engine slowing down under heavy load.

1 Like

Awesome!! Can’t wait for FiB phase 3! Keep going and good luck!

1 Like

I don’t disagree with your statements. ROBLOX’s physics engine is pretty decent, yeah, but it’s a spazzing engine. I didn’t mess with ROBLOX’s physics engine a lot as I write code between lines but I guess it can be improved. I overheard that ROBLOX will have a new Lua VM soon, I don’t know if it’ll fix physics engine related problems, or even if it’s related to the physics engine, but I definitely will hope for it.

Note: I don’t know if it’s any different in ROBLOX but physics is a field and humanoid physics is a subfield of physics, so by physics, I meant humanoid physics too.

3 Likes

Not really a separate field, but what I meant was that Humanoids often don’t obey the laws of Roblox physics. Anyways :+1:

3 Likes

Simply cannot wait for phase 3

1 Like

Will Phase 3 allow us to have lighting affect all/multiple viewports instead of just the main frame?

2 Likes

Whoa! Nice work! I’m sure you use the blender.

I just noticed that Humanoids no longer force shadow casting on transparent parts, making characters not cast shadows in first person.

i dont even have blender installed lol

1 Like

Humanoid use a nearly completely separate physics system which then communicates with the real thing.

As for the real physics engine, it’s actually one of the best currently available. It’s extremely consistent (try dropping 200 random objects and you’ll get the same result every time) and accurate (to the point where you can create mechanical simulations).

The only issue is that we have absolutely no access to it and can’t adapt it to our needs. Racing games usually don’t need precise environment collisions on anything but the vehicles and a point collision is more than enough for destructibles. RTS games don’t even need collisions as they are done with pathfinding.

2 Likes

I’m glad to see that there is customization!

I hope to use this for dramatic games or games such as the SCP Community to give it a more depth look!

Thanks for adding this!

1 Like

I don’t know if its just me getting this but I have ShadowMap enabled and I have all the settings the same for my other game and the shadows work fine on there but on my new game they don’t show on objects sometimes and yes I do have Cast Shadow enabled

1 Like

Shadowmaps currently only cast shadows from the sun and moon, that might be the reason. Try changing the time of day to check if that’s the issue.

You’ll have to wait for FIB3

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply but I already tried that…

It’s probably because your Ambient value is higher than your OutdoorAmbient value. Try reducing Ambient a bit.

1 Like

I was hoping it would work but did not work :expressionless:

2 Likes