Future Is Bright: Phase 2 - Studio beta

To be honest I think we should get an “Advanced Video Settings” dropdown menu in the current settings area, so that more advanced users can change multiple settings however they like. One other thing I’ve noticed is the low resolution, apparently my Roblox renders at one thousand five hundred something horizontally according to the Shift + F2 panel. Perhaps we could also have multiple resolution options? Pretty sure I set some settings to high resolution in Studio.

7 Likes

This has already been rejected multiple times. After all, its only a minority of users who would be interested in this considering that a lot of younger players don’t even care much about manually setting the quality level. Also many people would likely just use these settings to max out all the graphics, which is basically the same as setting quality to 10.

Resolution is a new one tho. I haven’t heard anyone talk about resolution options but I imagine it’ll likely be rejected too for simplicity reasons.

2 Likes

If not a dedicated resolution option, maybe it could depend on quality level as well.

1 Like

I remember when you used to able to manually change the quality setting individually (textures, shadows, water, etc.) in the studio and just because the minority (including me) wants it, doesn’t mean there’s no reason why ROBLOX shouldn’t re-add it. Let the younger players learn, it isn’t hard.
Also, whenever I set the technology to Shadowmap, noting happens and it’s just Voxel.

4 Likes

Super Nostalgia Zone with SwadowMap looks nice! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

As I said before, the current shadow distance limits are somewhat accidental and we’re planning to revisit them. We currently don’t plan to introduce more player facing control for shadow quality as the existing system is familiar and understandable for players and easy for developers to test their game with without having to check all possible permutations. It’s possible that at some point we’ll have to introduce more graphics settings but it’s just not planned any time soon and definitely not this year, so let’s not discuss this in this thread and focus on testing content and reporting visual and performance issues. And posting pretty screenshots.

12 Likes

ShadowMap is looking amazing right now with windows.

8 Likes

I’m very excited to try this out!

1 Like

Loving that roblox looks even more realistic than it was before!

2 Likes

A potential solution for this could be to increase the number of graphics levels, Ie instead of 1-10 we get 1-14.

2 Likes

This is so insane! I cant wait till it gets implemented fully. Two things that I really want to suggest though-
Even if it’s been mentioned before, I would really appreciate the ability to give developers an option to control max shadow cast distance, as seen here.

Secondly, this may be more of a bug(or just for testing reasons?), but the cast shadows property seems to reset to true when opening studio. I plan on using shadow map for a group game I’ve been developing. It uses a mesh atmosphere, which really requires this property to remain false. Thanks!

Edit: Woops! misread those two comments above sorry!

8 Likes

Sorry if this is an annoying question, but is there any ETA on when phase 2 will be released out of studio on to games? I only ask so I know when I should start re-adjusting all our biome lighting settings to look good with shadowmap. If it’s likely a few weeks away still I’m not too concerned right now

5 Likes

This is a post that is on the devforums.

When will ShadowMapping support artificial lights such as Point Lights, Surface Lights, etc.?

1 Like

Very nice!

Gives really good lightning I’m going to be using it for sure!

I believe that would be the third and final phase

2 Likes

Scene runs at 50 fps on integrated graphics at quality level 8. Looking forward to phase 2.5 & 3 :slight_smile:

20 Likes

As am I, though I remember asking about normal maps during RDC last year and was told that it was deep down below in their priority list.

Very cool! Any idea about when we’ll be seeing it in game?

Custom materials (which should very well include normal maps) is planned for Q4 this year.

Source: What's Coming in 2019: This Year's Developer Roadmap

2 Likes