Future Is Bright: Phase 2 - Studio beta

As many of you know, we’ve been working on the next phase of our “Future Is Bright” project. Today we’ve enabled the Phase 2 of “Future is Bright” in Studio!

A large team worked on this - thanks to @zeuxcg @Qiblox, @ConvexRumbler, @Homeomorph, @NeoBuilder101 and one other engineer who isn’t on the devforum for all the hard work!

Phase 2 is dedicated to detailed shadows from the sun from every single object in the scene (not just from humanoids).

There are several new options available:

New lighting technology: ShadowMap
image1

A Shadow Softness property which allows you to specify how blurry the shadows are
image3

And you can now control if a part casts shadows by using the new CastShadow property. This property also affects voxel shadows.

image4

Remember that if you publish your game right now, the changes won’t be visible for your players since the change is Studio-only for now. We want to be sure that everything works perfectly before final release; be sure to let us know about any problems you encounter.

Here are some screenshots with “Future is Bright” phase 2 enabled

To be able to achieve the best performance on every device, a shadow distance will depend on the quality level and for extremely low-quality levels we will fall back to voxel shadows. We plan to support this mode as well as Voxel and Compatibility for the foreseeable future.

So switch your Lighting to Shadow maps, play with new shadow technology and let us know if you find any bugs or performance issues. Buckle up, we will release FiB phase 2 to production soon!

477 Likes

Very great stuff, can’t wait to see this in game.

31 Likes

This looks very nice, I am very excited
gonna be lit !!! :sunglasses:

light devs > all

19 Likes

This is looking EPIC! Thank you so much Roblox! I’m super hyped :tada: :tada:

23 Likes

Took a while, but it’s finally here.
I’m sure everyone’s excited about this update.

8 Likes

Wow! Looks great! I can’t wait to start testing!

5 Likes

Wow, finally you can turn off a shadow on a part.

19 Likes

Dang, Ty. Now I dont have to put humanoids in my vehicles to get shadows

14 Likes

So does this update include specular highlights from the sun or is that a separate update that will come before phase 3 next year?

6 Likes

definitely worth the wait, absolutely beautiful!

5 Likes

Woah! The first screenshot really does look like some The Witcher-like game! This is so cool!

2 Likes

It looks amazing, but did it change how sun rays work behind the scenes or something?

18 Likes

Egg day drop is birthday drop heck yes

3 Likes

I was waiting for this since the release of beta V1!

5 Likes

Specular update will be separate and will happen later (either at the end of Q2 or in Q3).

9 Likes

When I saw this post I was SHOOK
Looking forward to the production release!
I was also wondering what else would come in Phase 3 other than the light shadows?

11 Likes

I’m so happy that this is out now, just a small question, will there be a Phase 3 of Future Is Bright?

2 Likes

Awesome! Excited to try this out.

3 Likes

Excited when I received a ping. This is an excellent feature and I approve it! :+1:

Let’s see what experiments I’ll be performing the upcoming days.

4 Likes

For me this is perhaps one of the best updates to date and I look forward to seeing these features in game!

5 Likes