Future Is Bright: Phase 2 - Studio beta

Client as in the Roblox player for games

Shadows are already live in Studio

1 Like

I thought we had to wait until Phase 3 for this…

This is going to be AMAZING! Just wait for the flood of amazing showcases to start pouring in!! I can’t wait to see what all the talented people on this forum do…

Send a thank you from us to your team!! We really appreciate the hard work!! Thank you!!

4 Likes

Hopefully the shadows of the more transparent parts are lighter than the regular parts so it’s not one big shadow.

3 Likes

The graphics are getting more realistic and getting better!

Only it contains some simple bugs because it’s in Beta. But I loved it anyway :heart:

2 Likes

As to add onto my past post, I have been developing a bit more with shadow map enabled and found that when you make a part small it does this weird shadowy effect

but this is more of an annoyance than anything else, otherwise I have had no other issues with shadowmap so far and am enjoying using it

1 Like

This is a known bug, a fix should be shipped next week.

1 Like

Ah, I just mis-read that when I first read it. Thanks for clearing up my understanding of it.

3 Likes

I’ve been using this for my themepark ‘Blox World’. It’s totally amazing to see the coaster’s track shadowed on to the ground around the ride.

3 Likes

I reached out to Zeuxcg on twitter about this and he said that they’re prioritizing Phase 2 at the moment, but said they probably should get around to another update on that.

4 Likes

Are there any plans for moonlight shadows?

4 Likes

From my experience there are Moonlight shadows, if this is what you mean.

4 Likes

It seems that the CastShadow property is ignored for decals and textures on parts with a Transparency higher than 0.02 - decals and textures will casts shadows regardless.

CastShadow=false
Transparency=0

CastShadow=false
Transparency=0.02

This absolutely ruins some areas of my game, since I have a 2D cloud layer (only visible from above), which casts sharp, blotchy shadows everywhere.

2 Likes

I love this. I made myself a new wallpaper using only items I found in the Toolbox + a lot of lighting effects.

Roblox is pretty.

29 Likes

I can confirm I’m having an issue reported by users earlier where shadows appear to jitter if a daylight cycle is occurring.

This is a test using the following code:

local Lighting = game.Lighting
for count = 1, 600 do
    Lighting:SetMinutesAfterMidnight(Lighting:GetMinutesAfterMidnight() + 0.1))
    game:GetService("RunService").RenderStepped:Wait()
end

From what I can tell this has to do with the map resolution. Setting ShadowSoftness=1 does not resolve this issue.

6 Likes

Yes, that is what I meant… I wonder why none appeared in my game o.o I probably need to mess with the Lighting settings or something. Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

Did you switch the lighting technology to shadow map? If yes - did you untick the “Global Shadows” setting? I don’t have any shadows only when I untick that setting altho it also makes night look almost pitch black.

1 Like

The ShadowMap resolution, from what I can tell, is extremely low and will jitter around on some geometry even if it’s static geometry.

The only fix for this, I can tell, is to increase the ShadowMap resolution, though I’m not sure if @zeuxcg would increase it, or allow developers to increase or decrease it like they can increase / decrease shadow softness.

4 Likes

Awesome, this doesn’t even look like Roblox! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think that’s an immediate option given that higher resolution = more computing power necessary. My hopes are up regardless.

2 Likes

FWIW I think we looked into that and fixed some internal quantization logic to make this smoother, and the remaining issues had more to do with the sun direction itself updating in a not-very-smooth manner, and less to do with resolution. You can understand the resolution limit by smoothly moving the shadow caster, not the sun.

5 Likes