Future Is Bright: Phase 2 - Studio beta

Anybody else seeing that particles with light emission on shadow maps looks as if it produces less of a glow in comparison to Voxel?

as an example ;

30 Likes

Oh. My. God. I’m so thankful for everyone who are working on FIB, it’s not even the final thing and it already looks darn amazing…

:heart_eyes:

46 Likes

imo natural terrain needs a rework for this to look good. although… image

realism is happy.

32 Likes

This is simply amazing! I can’t wait to see what people are able to make out of this!

3 Likes

Quality games are going to be so much easier, thanks so much!

The future truly is bright.

3 Likes

Question: Does phase 2 have the same lighting features that phase 3 has (but only for the sun) or are those other features coming in phase 3?

1 Like

Very happy to hear this, thank you for letting us know,

2 Likes

Wow, it looks so awesome just by looking at the pictures on here! Can’t wait to try this out. Should make my aircraft shadows look a lot better!

2 Likes

8 Likes

Light from the sun only appears to pass through objects with Transparency >= 0.5. Is this intented &/or is is there plans to change this? It would be interesting to have different shadow quality/density based on the opaqueness of the objects the sun passes through.

This also means we’d have some pretty abrupt shadow pop-ins when tweening a part’s transparency.

Heres what i mean:

18 Likes

Looks amazing! Keep up the great work!

13 Likes

4 Likes

Thanks for all the great new updates! Cannot wait to try them out.

Yesssss I have been waiting for this feature since 2015!

Finally glad to see shadow map on normal studio for once!

Can’t wait for the potential impact on Roblox games

Absolutely love this update, definitely fills in the holes the previous versions of FIB had. One issue that I am noticing is that when the lighting mode is set to “Compatibility” and the CastShadow property is set true, some parts are casting shadows on to themselves when they shouldn’t be. Is this intentional?

4 Likes

So basically, this update is Voxel + Realistic Shadows?
Or does Shadow Map use another lighting engine?

Voxel is the engine, it’s just features with it have to be optimized to work to the way roblox wants them to. Most of them were disabled when voxel was brought in, but they’re optimizing the features to the best they can. Thankfully, they at least got this done and are adding the feature in.

2 Likes

Could you provide the link to this game/project?

1 Like

This is incredible, can’t wait for future additions, hopefully stuff like realistic lighting from lighting objects not just the sun (hopefully light rays as well). Plus reflections, with shadows and lights to really create a unique environment.

This is intentional for now. While the mathematical model we’re using for shadows theoretically allows for translucency, it’s… tricky… and was outside the scope of research we were willing to do for this. Future extension maybe.

9 Likes