Gaining permission to use catalog clothing

I’ve been told that I always need to gain permission from the owner of an item or a piece of clothing if I want to use it in my game. Even when it has been botted thousands of times like in the following example:

The problem with this is that, in most cases, it is extremely hard to reach the owner of the wanted item. This can be for multiple reasons:

• If I wanted the guard shirt above, who is the actual owner of it that I can ask? Probably everyone shown in the picture is a botting retailer (if that makes sense) and doesn’t really own the item.
  • What if the item was made a few years ago? How can I tell if the owner is still active?
  • How do I reach someone if they’re not responding on their group wall?
  • What if they don’t have any external social media?
  • How can I ask someone who is banned for permission? Do they still even own rights to that clothing?

As for the obligatory question “Why don’t I make my own?”, this is simply because I don’t have premium, and I am not considering buying it until my game gains some form of traction. Not to mention that it is difficult and quite time consuming, even if I reused the same clothes for many NPCs.

TLDR: It’s too hard to reach a clothing owner/creator, how do I gain permission from them? Alternatively, are there situations where I do not have to respect their rights to the clothing?

Hello @dave4681,

This is in this situation I would just use it without the owners permission. The reason I am saying this is those clothing’s have not been taken down so if you used the clothing in your game you are very unlikely to get in trouble. If it was a UGC item I would say contact the owner as most of them have Discord or some other way for you to contact them and they also put hard work into it but for a small bit of clothing like it it’s not worth looking for the owner and is basically impossible. You could go and ask Roblox on there customer support but I do not think that will be much help really.

Hope this helped and sorry if it did not.

3 Likes

Thank you so much, I was dreading a ‘no buts’ answer.

1 Like