Game breaking lag due to LuaU update!

Reproduction Steps
https://www.roblox.com/games/1923555882/East-Brickton-Season-2#!/game-instances

Imagine a game going from 500 player count to less than 50 in a span of a few days due to a game breaking update on Roblox’ end that you have no control over. Its literally driving me crazy because this is my lively hood!!! What i believe the source of this issue wasnt my own programming, because despite me reverting the game to previous updates it still lags; it has to do with Roblox new LuaU system which is very destructive to established games!

Expected Behavior
I expect the game to be played as normal, no latency, optimized, and working fine. Used to be able to run perfect at 90 player servers, and now with the count reduced to 75, the latency is STILL unbearable!

Actual Behavior
The latency can shoot up to 1,5k and 2,5k ping. Can happen during shootouts which was normal, but now its common to spike up at any time!

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Performance
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-02-21 14:02:00 (-05:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2022-03-07 00:03:00 (-05:00)

18 Likes

Can confirm the same issue has been happening in a game I work on too since around the same time the LuaU changes were announced. I’ve been debugging a lot to ensure it isn’t a problem on our end and have found nothing of interest. Even reverting the game to several days before the issue appeared has not helped at all.

Game Link: Blacksite Zeta - Roblox

3 Likes

I too have been experiencing this issue shortly after the latest Luau update. Prior to the update, none of our developers have pushed out any new content that could have caused any complications.

This is a pretty big issue because the game is one of our largest sources of revenue, and that only comes from high-yield premium payouts.

https://www.roblox.com/games/7845941294/DT-Reversal-Compound#!/about

4 Likes

No matter how far I revert my game the servers are still laggy, and I even went ahead to revert a game and try to reprogram the update I reverted in a mad attempt to fix my problem thinking it was on my end. However no matter what I do, this will not make a difference when the game is being ran.

3 Likes

Something to note is that when they publish that devforum post, that those luau features were not added on that day of the post, but rather during the past month. Luau updates at the same time that normal Roblox updates are added, which can be after patchnote releases, or at any time during the week. So it is very likely that this is not a luau issue, and instead another issue caused by something different that was updated around that time.

6 Likes

Yeah I agree with this. There needs to be actual benchmarking/profiling to justify these claims. These issues are most likely caused from some sort of engine change and not scripting language changes.

13 Likes

Agree. OP mentions LuaU but then brings up network latency. Not sure how he got to that assumption.

6 Likes

I think OP must have seen my original response to the Luau Recap thread which was just an assumption on my end. I did think it could be related to those changes since I just started seeing this problem pop up on that exact day along with the other guy but now that I think about it, it could possibly be related to any recent changes from Roblox’s usual Wednesday update since that was just the day before.

2 Likes

Do you think games that use HTTP services are being hijacked by exploiters? I do have a bad exploiting community plaguing my game, however most of the exploits are already checked.

1 Like

I am mentioning LuaU because for the past week I have had unexplainable latency issues, which previously I believed was caused by an update, reverts show no different. So I began looking and posting around the internet and dev forums, and I cam across @Developing_Maniac post having a similar issue, and I am just going to follow his hypothesis because I am absolutely stuck and lost on where to turn.

2 Likes

Hi! We are so sorry to hear this. When exactly did you start seeing the issue? On your post, I see
Date First Experienced: 2022-02-21 14:02:00 (-05:00)

Is this accurate? Having a good idea of when the issues started could help us narrow down which change may have caused these problems you’re seeing.

3 Likes

local script sends the players mouse position, ammunition, and rest of gun information like if it has droppable clips, ejecting shells, and sends that over to the server.

the server processes the information, verifies it to prevent exploiting, checks the range and the gun information, then sends the gun information back to the client. (fireallclients) within a range of 300 studs of a person shooting a gun.

the client then replicates the bullet effect, bullet hole effect, blood pools, gun sparks, gun sound based on range, and it is played out on the client based on the graphics level of the client to detect what type of effects should occur based on their computer quality.

Example:
https://i.gyazo.com/bac787523c9a4e0572cbda1bb68037de.mp4

Players using graphics quality less than 10 will only see the laser effects and nothing else
https://i.gyazo.com/fd2684d757bde02d46cd98a9b173e269.mp4

1 Like

Yes, from what I believe it was originally an update an outsource developer dropped for my game on February 21st 2022. No matter how many times I revert the game I still get the same results prior to the Feb 21st release of the East Brickton update.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Does that mean you started observing these lag spikes on February 21, 2022? Or do you mean that February 21, 2022 is the last update you made before you started observing the lag spikes?

If it is indeed an engine problem, and unrelated (or only partially related) to that update, then it would be helpful to know exactly when the problem started, independent of when the update was made.

1 Like

February 21st the day I dropped my update was the day I started experiencing these lag spikes.
I assumed reverting the game to an update as early as February 10th would fix the problem, but the issue still persisted.

2 Likes

I see. Thanks, I’m going to try looking through which changes were made February 21, and what kind of shifts in metrics occurred around that time. If it is an engine change, hopefully I can figure out which change is responsible.

In the mean time, would it be possible for you to get a microprofile of the lag spike, and PM it to me? If we can get a microprofile of the lag spike, we might be able to deduce which part of the engine is slowing down and causing these lag spikes for you.

4 Likes

Also provided you the dump in your PMs!

2 Likes

Have you actually determined the source of this issue? Studio does provide a handy ‘Script Performance’ view

1 Like

Rates can spike to 10k-20k but the percentage of the script usage never exceeds 5%

1 Like

I’m having the same issue on my game. I’ve had to revert the game to 3 months back in order for it to function properly. Everything you described sounds like my case. I can’t get any details about the issue on the dev console, everything seems normal. But all of a sudden it will begin to lag heavily. It doesn’t crash you instantly, but after playing for a minute or so it will start lagging and within 4-5 seconds of it starting to lag you’re at the point where it’s like 1 frame rate per 6 seconds. I’ve lost several players cause of this issue. My issue however started last week around the 28th of last month.

2 Likes