Game client not launching

It is a problem with Windows insider 25941. They have just released a new version 25947 approximately an hour ago, and on their announcement page, they stated the following issue,

“Some popular games may not work correctly on the most recent Insider Preview builds in the Canary Channel. Please be sure to submit feedback in Feedback Hub on any issues you see with playing games on these builds.”

While it doesn’t mention anything regarding a fix, rolling back to an earlier version than 25941 will work.

2 Likes

on build 25947, the new canary build, this issue still occurs
i know no fix was mentioned, just worth mentioning in case people have this update available

3 Likes

i have my canary updates on pause i will keep it paused till a fixed is mentioned

1 Like

has anyone tried this build yet? My start menu is broken on the build that actually works with roblox

I’ve tried a build with a broken menu once, and to fix the menu I just used explorer patcher.

still happens on canary build 25951

1 Like

My Insider builds stopped working (corrupted my OS, on reinstall broke my network card) so I’ve moved to 10 where it works, I won’t be tracking this issue anymore

still happening on build 25947, this is getting really annoying, any updates on this issue?

1 Like

Roblox is not installed under the Administrator or under an admin user, but the logged in user. You can find it’s files in C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Local\Roblox.

Here’s a few things that you can try:

• Delete/Move the Roblox folder and reinstall.

• Check the Task Manager. See if there’s a hung process that’s still running. I’ve seen this one a few times. Look for RobloxPlayerBeta.exe. Kill all instances that you find.

• Alternatively, you can open a command prompt or PowerShell prompt and type taskkill /IM /F RobloxPlayerBeta.exe

• There’s also a RobloxPlayerLauncher.exe as well.

• I have also seen corruption in the Registry as well. Do <WIN KEY>-R and type in regedit.exe. From there, navigate to HKCU\Software. There’s a couple of keys named Roblox. Either rename or delete them and run it again. Considering that you have reinstalled the client, this might fix it. I wish to note that manually editing the registry this way carries some inherent risk. If you mess up, you may have to reinstall an application, or worse, the operating system.

• It could also be a system issue. Log into the machine as Administrator. Don’t use an elevated prompt or a user that’s in the admin group, but the actual Administrator account. You may have to enable it. To do so, open an elevated command prompt and type net user Administrator /active:yes. That will enable the Administrator account on the login screen. The following things to check will be using the admin account.

• Open the device manager. Check to see if there are any yellow triangles or red circles next to any devices. If there are, that could be causing it depending on what the device is. Open the device and see what is going on with it. Windows is usually pretty good about diagnosing a device problem and will tell you, in general, what the problem is.

• Open the Event Viewer and filter the results based on warnings and errors. See if there is anything going on in the system that Windows is complaining about. Some common errors are about services not starting or something. Most of these are harmless, but there are some that indicates there is a problem.

• Open a command prompt as Administrator (even though you are using the Admin account) and type chkdsk c: /f. This will scan the harddisk/SSD for errors in the NTFS filesystem structure. If errors are found, you will be prompted to reboot the machine so it can fix them. This can take some time.

• System files could be corrupted. Open a command prompt as Administrator and type sfc /verifyonly. This will scan and verify all protected operating system files. It won’t repair them though. If errors are found, type sfc /scannow to fix them. Depending on what it finds, and if the files in question are in use, you may be prompted to restart the machine so it can fix the issue. This can take some time.

• If none of this works, you might have a hardware issue. Before you open the case of the machine up, make sure you thoroughly understand the procedures for preventing electrostatic discharge (ESD). Computer hardware is very sensitive to ESD and you can fry something just by touching it if you are not careful. You must use a wrist strap connected to ground, and the computer itself must be grounded. If in doubt, don’t mess with it. Take it to a professional and have them do it.

• Before you mess with anything inside the case, make sure the machine is dead off. That includes turning the little power switch on the power supply to the off position to remove the standby power from the machine. If in doubt, unplug the machine from the wall. Messing with hardware components with power applied can cause an electrical surge that will damage the hardware. I have seen this a few times where people added a card while the machine was still on. The result was that the top half of an integrated circuit case was blown off exposing the bare chip. Once again, if you are not confident or are unsure, take it to a professional. They have the training and experience to perform hardware procedures safely.

• You can try to reseat the memory dimms, hard drive/SSD cables, etc. Basically it’s just remove the part and put it back in. I’ve seem this a few times myself and it fixes a host of weird problems. What happens is that over time, oxidation builds up on the bare metal (tarnish) and can interrupt or impede signal current flow. Removing the cables/parts and reinstalling them will scrape the oxide off and allow solid metal to metal contact again so the signal is no longer impeded.

• I have also seen PATA/SATA data cables go bad a few times. You can try to replace those with new ones and see if that corrects the problem. Usually, if this is causing problems, you’ll have other issues too. However, sometimes this only shows up under high system load where there’s lots of disk activity.

• Roblox, being a game, puts high stress on the video graphics hardware. Probably not as much as games like Skyrim, Unreal Tournament, and Fortnight, but it does give the GPU a workout. If your machine has a separate video card, you can try removing it and reinstalling it. If it has a separate power connecter, unplug and plug it back in it too. You may try to remove and reinstall the video card a few times and rock it in the slot. This will help remove (scrape off) any metal oxidation that might have built up over time and give a good solid connection.

I’ve seen bad memory cause all sorts of problems. When you do a cold start (power on), the memory check for the POST just looks for bits that are stuck on or stuck off. Due to the nature of DRAM, you can have failing memory. DRAM stores the bit as a charge on a capacitor that is made from the gate terminal of a MOSFET transistor and must be periodically refreshed because the charge bleeds away. Some failures that I’ve seen are writing to one cell and it changes the bits of the surrounding cells which is hard to detect. This is known as a soft failure. A stuck bit is known as a hard failure.

There are a number of programs that will check the memory, but the most well known one is MemTest86. Download it (there’s a free version) and follow the instructions on the website to burn it onto a CD or a USB Flash Drive. The program runs on bare metal (does not use and is independent of the operating system). Boot from the CD/USB to run it. Follow the prompt/instructions on the screen. It will perform a number of comprehensive tests on the memory. Be warned, this will take some time.

3 Likes

any actual update on this? using the uwp client doesnt work anymore because its x64 now, i cant play roblox on pc at all

not trying to just disregard this whole reply or anything (this would genuinely be great advice if we hadnt figured out the root cause yet) but we have already come to the conclusion that this is an issue relating to running roblox on windows insider, theres even a staff member more or less confirming this on a different post with the same issue

1 Like

Ah. I didn’t see that post when I wrote this. Windows Insider builds are time limited for beta testing only. I was a member of the insider program doing beta testing for Microsoft.

1 Like

I have build 25977 and ROBLOX still doesn’t work. Does anyone have similar issues or just me?

I’m having major issues too.

At first the player was just crashing with an unexpected error once I was in an experience for 5-10 seconds. I de-installed roblox and now I can’t even get into an experience (the launcher crashes before I can click “play”).

I tried removing my xbox controller as I had heard that an issue with Hapticservice controllers was causing PC’s to crash in player, but that hasn’t fixed it either.

Having this similar issue when I try to open Roblox on the browser, it doesn’t launch Roblox Player, however it works on the Roblox desktop app.

3 Likes

I really hope this will be fixed because it seems to come and go for me,

When it does not work it takes like 2 months for it to fix itself.

Some info i gathered:

Reinstalling the ROBLOX client does not work (including fully wiping it from your PC)

It does not relate to windows versions
(Just before i switched to Windows 11 on a new SSD, it started on Windows 10 and ended a month later on Windows 11)

And

It seems to be crash errors if i remember correctly.

This issue also seems to be going around more lately.

It is also different for everyone,
This time it tries to update ROBLOX and then not load the game.
The one time before it had the same issue as the video evidence in this post.

This moment when plug in generic gamepad controller while running Roblox just crashed and not popup the message (Using open-sourced Bloxstrap), and not launching, when removing the gamepad controller working just fine[not compatible generic gamepad controllers]. Roblox studio working this controller just fine and also menu from Xbox and PlayStation 4/5.
Post Scrimption, Using like DualShock 1-2 and PS [SpeedLink strike gamepad] controller.

same. roblox is on but nothing is displaying. look at task manager and you will see roblox there but yeah you can just end the task.

roblox updated and now it’s displaying it

roblox doesnt start on windows 11 build 26040. waiting for a fix or roblox to just get rid of the anticheat which breaks insider builds

3 Likes