Game client not respecting windows display scale settings

Currently, as of 1/17/21, the Roblox game client does not appear to respect windows display scale settings. I was playtesting my game when my screen went black for a few moments, similiar to what happens when you press Alt + Enter to make a game enter fullscreen mode. When rendering continued, the game client was suddenly at a much higher resolution than it was previously, and Roblox’s default UIs (the mouse, the developer console, the playerlist, etc) were now incredibly small, compared to what they were previously. I closed the client and re-joined my game, only to still be stuck with the higher in-game resolution. I have also re-installed the client, but this has not fixed it. Studio’s viewport does not suffer from this problem. It appears that the game client itself has suddenly stopped respecting my windows display scaling settings, which are currently at 125%. The game client behaves as if my scale settings are at 100%.

As you can see in the screenshots below, the game client is not respecting my windows display scale settings anymore after the screen blacked out.

Studio viewport (respects 125% scale setting):

Game client (does not respect 125% scale setting):

It is worth mentioning that I had studio open behind the game client when this issue started occuring, I’m not sure if that could have been the cause of this or not.

14 Likes

Hi, I recently discovered a very similar issue when pressing Alt+Enter to toggle fullscreen. This action is handled by the OS and not by Roblox, and it appears to have a bug. The OS first changes the DPI scale of the application when going fullscreen, but it does not restore it when going back to windowed mode. Could this be the same thing that’s happening on your end? Did you by any chance press Alt+Enter while testing your game?

I have a workaround coming up shortly that will prevent this from happening to other users, but unfortunately that does not restore the original DPI settings. I’ll see if I can find a solution for that.

7 Likes

OK, I think I found the solution. Open regedit.msc, press Ctrl+F and enter RobloxPlayerBetaRaw.exe in the search box. You will hit many results, but you are looking for a key under:
Computer\HKEY_USERS\...\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
The data associated to the key will probably be HIGHDPIAWARE. If that’s the case, delete the key and run the Roblox client to confirm the DPI scaling issue is fixed.
Hope that helps!

7 Likes

I probably did, my hands slipped on my keyboard and I pressed a bunch of keys at the same time right before the issue occured. I took the liberty of using alt + enter to go fullscreen again, which reproduced the DPI problem.

This temporary fix did work! Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This issue should now be resolved! If this issue is still occurring, please create a new topic for us to look into.

11 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.