Game Design Assistance/Poll: Survival

Note: If this is in the wrong category and should be moved to Development Discussion, please post below so I can move this to Bulletin Board and create a Post Feature Request. Thank you.

I plan to be working on a major game very shortly that is based off of a survival game mode. For anyone who doesn’t know what that is, the basics fall under crafting, obtaining items, fighting, and a lot of interacting with the environment.

Because I want this game to be almost perfect in every way, shape, and form, I am polling the great developers on this forum to see what your opinions are on the way this game should be styled. I may implement more posts in the future falling under different categories, but for now, we’re mapping out the basic style of the game.

Because of the way the game is going to be structured lore-wise, we’re sticking to the theme of modern/post-modern. We do NOT intend for this to be post-apocalyptic yet. The details of the vote categories are below:

Realistic: Centering around a modern time period. Will contain lots of nature, shadowing, effects, etc. to obtain a realistic/hyper-realistic effect. (My preferred choice)

Cartoony: Centering around a modern time period. Will contain lots of blocky textures, structuring, and smooth materials. (My partner’s preferred choice)

Futuristic: Centering around a post-modern/futuristic time period. Will contain lots of metallic textures, neon lighting, and custom texturing. Will take place with advanced tools that may be structured in the way that Subnautica structures their survival game.

• Realistic
  • Cartoony
  • Futuristic

0 voters

If anyone has any additions to the poll, please reply below. Keep in mind that I may or may not add it because I’m pretty certain that the poll restarts when modified. Thank you.

2 Likes

I voted for futuristic for a variety of reasons – not only would I personally enjoy playing this kind of game more, but I feel like we’ve already seen a lot of realistic games. Additionally, creativity can go off the rocker with a futuristic theme while keeping it realistic limits that. Also, neon is cool!

4 Likes

Since the game is structured lore-wise, it’s hard for me to chose futuristic. Usually, a survival game isn’t futuristic - but rather realistic.

I would personally prefer a cartoony-realistic style; by this I mean realistic features (ie smooth-terrain) but implemented in a cartoon-themed style (takes the theme of something cartoony, ie candy land)—similar to what’s seen in Egg Hunt 2019. I would consider this cartoony because it takes the theme of a cartoon theme; however adhering/complimenting with realistic features.

Please include more information on your lore/desired product, it is difficult to understand the “Futuristic” idea.

Edit: If you plan to lock the poll soon, or if the poll gains <30 voters, please remove your vote as it can make a noticeable impact on the poll’s outcome - you’re also requesting feedback from the community.

1 Like

I removed my vote but unfortunately I was unable to view the results. I have now learned the hard way that changing the poll erases the results…

Keep in mind that the art style of your game heavily influences its tone. If you already have some lore planned, I encourage you to choose your art style based on that (or vise-versa, where you build your lore around your style). If you plan to have darker or more serious aspects within your lore, then you should stick to a futuristic or realistic art style (Incorporating serious/dark lore into a cartoony style is possible, but that’s a difficult feat).

2 Likes

Accidentally clicked cartoony. Meant to vote realistic.

Although you don’t have many votes for realistic, it’s always your choice. My justification is that I myself am a realistic builder and believe that realism brings out the best in a build, and creates a sound, organic environment for a player. This could be utilised efficiently in a post-apocalyptic setting.

Just click hide results to revote

As @BeetBowl said, your art style has a huge impact on your game - it’s not just a skin. You’ll want to choose your art style with the same criteria as you choose your lore.
That being said, I’d love to see a futuristic survival games - Roblox is saturated with realistic and/r cartoony games.

I must be honest, I’m quite happy that Futuristic has prevailed. I, myself, love working with Realism but I’ve always worked with many varied styles in the usual development work I do, with most being centered on post-modernism/futurism. I think this might open up a lot more creativity as I see that survival games are starting to come back alongside Gusmanak’s Apocalypse Rising 2. However, because these are realistically themed, the competition will be higher. With futurism, it doesn’t offset the competition completely but it does open up to a newer market that has only been explored, to my knowledge, by Subnautica.

1 Like