[Game design]: What do I do from here

I’ve been working on this game for about a couple weeks now, and throughout development I’ve constantly changed the concept because I’m anxious that it’ll fail in the final product.

It went from a tower of hell knock-off to a piggy clone, and now, it’s some weird team deathmatch variant.

[1. Tower of hell]: A round based game, where players need to be the first one to beat an obstacle course to win.

[2. Piggy Clone]: 1 vs all, 1 player is the monster and everyone else needs to kill it. The person who delivers the final blow becomes the new monster. The objective of the game is to become the last monster after a time limit ends.

[3. Team Deathmatch]: This game is going to be a team deathmatch game, 1 team is going to be the monters and the other the regular players. The monsters goal is to kill as much players as they can. Players are helpless and can only run away. Every 1 minute the roles are switched until 1 team gets a total of 50 kills.

In my third iteration, I tried to take everything I didn’t like about piggy, murder mystery 2, flee the facility, among us and make some innovations.

First thing I revamped the movement system. I noticed that in the game I mentioned, that movement is extremely restricted, especially in piggy. How come? It makes the game feel sluggish and a flat-out walking simulator. So now all players have a moveset they can utilize to better attune to their surroundings. I thought that this might make chase sequences a lot more thrilling.

Second, elimination is gone. I absolutely hate games where you get eliminated from the round after being killed. It wastes people’s time, I’m sure some people can agree. So I tried to avoid the last man standing concept and aim towards things like getting points.

Third, becoming the role you would like (piggy, murderer, imposter, etc) is really rare. So switching roles every 1 minute tries to solve that.

And now I’m at the stage where I want to switch concepts again… Im kind of unsure if this game is any good.

What do you guys think? Does this game has potential? Which is your favorite concept or should I keep looking?

Here’s some concept videos below. I went with this art direction because I wanted to form a balance between horror and humor.

I figure you need to figure out a game idea you like before you do anything more.
You’re taking all these games that you think can be improved, applying your improvements, and you feel the end product won’t be successful when the original games have success (at least that’s what I understand).

But no, I don’t think your current game concept is fun.
Players run from another player until they are the chasing player and then they chase runner players until they are a runner player again–to me that’s repetitive but not rewarding.

1 Like

How about this concept? I had fairly ok reception on this

This is post for a different game with the same idea:

In a game like that I’d just avoid hitting the monster at all until the timer starts getting close to zero, or at least until there are so few players left that I know I can take them on alone. There’s no incentive to be the first to risk your life when it’s the last hit that counts, and only when the round is reaching its end.
This idea needs more to it.
UNLESS. You make it a really awesome fighting game in which the combat itself is really fun and it doesn’t matter who becomes the monster. UNLESS. The monster gets a big buff and it’s like a boss fight and every player turns into a different boss with different abilities.

I’m not saying your ideas are bad, it’s just I wouldn’t play your concepts. At least how they are now.

If you’re interested, here are concepts I had in the past that I thought might be fun.

This one was complicated(?) and slow-progressing (possibly grindy).

This one was too large a scale, and probably wouldn’t keep players interested if they weren’t in for the long run.

This one was hide-and-seek but with zombies and I thought it was pretty good.

1 Like