Game Event Thumbnails

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to …

Communicate to users our upcoming updates / in-game events using the existing events platform. A major pain point is that I cannot upload media specific to the event - instead it just uses the game’s default thumbnails. The way I get around this is by making the whole game’s first thumbnail one describing the event like is the case here.

However, with the recent experiments where Roblox is showing the first thumbnail in people’s sorts (which I really like), we currently have to decide between risking our discoverability (by appealing specifically to existing users who may be interested in our newest update) or risking our communication ability for new updates (by making the thumbnail a generic descriptor of our game otherwise).

In addition to this, I’d like to post the next few updates being made to the game, but because every event just uses the first sorted thumbnail, there’s no good way outside of the title and description to communicate exactly what’s being added. And let’s be real - who reads anyways?!

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because …

I’d be able to both optimize for discoverability and cater to my existing audience, rather than having to choose one or the other! I would love to either be able to upload completely separate media to these events as their own ‘thumbnails’ or at the very least be able to select which of the game’s thumbnails to display as the primary one for my event!

I also would be able to communicate to players over longer periods of time what the updates are going to be! Rather than having to choose one specific update to highlight via the thumbnail, I’d be able to have multiple thumbnails for multiple upcoming events!

18 Likes

Oh yeah,
I would suggest to show main thumbnail normally, and if you are following the game or you played it recently, you see the other thumbnail.

What do you think of my idea?

Hey! Thanks for taking the time to write this. We hear you loud and clear and have also been thinking about this.

At the beginning of this year, we made events and related a strategic priority internally. There is a lot of exciting stuff going on here now, and the problem you describe is exactly the sort of thing we’re now actively working on.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.