Game heavy on memory, but ONLY terrain in game?

• What are you attempting to achieve?
    ~ Understanding why my memory use is so high, and hopefully a fix.

• What is the issue?
    ~ Several people are finding my game laggy to the point of unplayable.

• What solutions have you tried so far?
    Stripped the entire game back down to nothing, with the intention of adding everything back one thing at a time to see if I could pinpoint where any issues might be. However, I didn’t get that far because it seems the lag might be starting right at the beginning.

Here are some numbers from the game as playable:

Here are some numbers from a brand new game where I’ve done NOTHING except load in my terrain.

Just to confirm: There is not, and never has been, a single script, model, part, anything in this game, it is literally just a loaded in terrain.

I’ve been scouring the forum as well as Google for mentions of UntrackedMemory, which I understand there’s very little we can do about in terms of cleaning it out, but, everything I see talking about it mentions scripts.

I don’t have any scripts yet I’m getting 800mb, more even, of magical vanishing memory?

Point to note: I’m brand new to studio, scripting, anything related, so talking to me like I’m a five year old is encouraged and appreciated.

Thank you.

The plot thickens…

This is an empty baseplate.

I started a brand new game in the studio, loaded it, named it, saved it, published it.

I went onto Roblox, joined my empty baseplate game, and…

How the heck am I supposed to keep my usage down if I can’t even start with some sort of normal numbers??

Might just be me but Roblox has been high on memory for a while now. Whether this is a new issue or something that’s always been like this, not too sure, but your issue certainly isn’t due to terrain.

And to be fair, we’re in 2024, I don’t think many people are still running devices with 2gb of memory…

Try it on a low performance (mobile) device.
Make sure you use streaming enabled, not much more you can improve if you just have smooth terrain.

Using streaming will make it so memory can be reduced heavily on mobile devices. You probably won’t notice a difference on a high performance device. It’ll only unload stuff when more memory is needed (can be adjusted using streaming modes).

Streaming is enabled.

I’ve been through and turned shadow off on as much stuff as I can, can-collide the same, I just don’t know how to make my game playable for people on mobile if an empty baseplate is already shooting me up to nearly a gig?

Like okay I guess this is my game now, forget explorable terrain, enjoy your grey square…?

Thank you both for replying.

Don’t stare yourself blank on the 1gb of memory usage. It’s pretty meaningless if it’s measured on a system with high ram.
Try measuring your game on a mobile device with low ram. You’ll notice completely different ram usage. Ideally play on the device your users report crashing on.

Hi there,

I had a friend jump in with his laggy phone.

This was his result for Brookhaven (although the other four or five games he tried were all similar).

This was his result for my game.

RIP CPU…

So now I need to try and figure out what’s causing all that, cause making a laggy game is pointless.

Thank you for answering :slight_smile: