Game not starting in portrait mode (Despite ScreenOrientation set to Portrait)

I’m prototyping a game, here:

In the StarterGui I have the ScreenOrientation set to Portrait, but when I connect to the game on my phone it is in landscape. Additionally, if I set it to Sensor it still cannot be taken out of landscape.

Am I doing something wrong?

2 Likes

Same thing happened to me. I’m setting it in a script for now in ReplicatedFirst.

Thanks for the reply.

I just tried that in a localscript in ReplicatedFirst:

game:GetService("StarterGui").ScreenOrientation = Enum.ScreenOrientation.Portrait

However, this doesn’t seem to have any effect on my mobile device.

[Edit]
Ah, nevermind. I needed to set the individual player’s ScreenOrientation via PlayerGui, that fixes it! Thanks @wravager

2 Likes

This bug still exists and it seems like manually setting the orientation doesn’t work.

1 Like

I’ve tried manually setting it in ReplicatedFirst, and it immediately reverts back to landscape…

Does anyone have a fix for this? I think this may be a problem only ROBLOX can fix.

I’m also experiencing this. I’ve had my fair share of bugs using the mobile app. I’m on an iPhone X with the latest version. Whenever I play a game, it starts in portrait mode. It waits for the game to load, then switches. I’m not sure if this is a bug, or something.

This is still an issue. Setting my game to portrait via StarterGui or PlayerGui has the mobile app loading in portrait, then after a few seconds it switches back and forth several times quickly, then ends in landscape.

This is a huge problem for the game that i’m making. Does anyone know of a workaround?

[Edit]
It seems that if I wait() before setting it to portrait via PlayerGui then it will correctly switch orientations. This isn’t ideal as the app will still switch to landscape after loading before switching back to portrait, which is ugly, though I can live with it.

1 Like

This appears to have been fixed in update 398.

1 Like

I just did a test in a new place with the only change being to set it to portrait mode. If the phone is in portrait, then roblox will start loading the place in portrait, then just before it finishes loading it will switch back to landscape, then back to portrait again.

I’ve discovered after further testing that the issue I was having above where the game wouldn’t load into portrait even with StarterGui set to portrait was because I was using custom characters and had CharacterAutoLoads turned off. I guess it makes sense that this would be the case, but whether your game can load into portrait or not shouldn’t be determined by whether or not you auto load the character in my opinion. Your only option then is to wait() and use PlayerGui to switch the player into portrait.