Game Purchase Enquiry: Free Then Paid Games

Hello DevForum,
I come to you today will an enquiry.

I plan on hosting a release event for my eventual release of my game.
I intend on having the game free to access during the event, and then increasing the cost of the game to R$100 whilst I work on the game’s sister game, which I predict will bring in a significantly larger income than the first game.

My question is: “Will players who attended the release event need to purchase the game when the price is added?”

Thank you.

Yes, once you make a game paid access, all players who have not previously purchased access will need to pay the 100 Robux fee. Even players who have played previously.

Raising the price of a game that was once free is also a questionable move that will not be appreciated by players.

3 Likes

This is personal opinion I have never made a game before. One: Yes, people who played will have to purchase the game. Two: From what I have seen games that are free do better than purchased games. The Horse Valley game shows this. Horse Valley 1 has almost 100 more people than Horse Valley 2 even though its better (In my opinion) and has better ratings. You can make a game that you need to purchase popular. It’s unlikely but possible. I have never release a game before so I’m going off of mostly opinion and what I have seen and heard. As @Wsly said

I would completely agree with that. If you’re trying to make money off of the game then just do game passes. You could also have in game money if that fits your game. Again I’m going off of what I have seen. I don’t want to judge your game(s) just saying my opinion.

1 Like

@misssurenitysweety

Raising the price of a game that was once free is also a questionable move that will not be appreciated by players.

I’d just like to clarify something here. The game itself will be playable during pre-release, but only at R$500. In games such as Mirror’s Edge Catalyst, I have experience getting hyped up about a game, only for it to disappoint me since I had already seen so much gameplay. Whilst the pre-release versions are playable, the costs are high to prevent such a scenario from occurring, but also allowing people to support my work and talk about the gameplay to their friends.

The only reason the game is free during the release event is to allow more people to attend the release event. It only lasts a few hours. Afterwards, the price will be decreased from R$500 to R$100.

Ah, I understand more now. Thanks! Good luck with your game!

1 Like