Game Script Timeout?

I have a script that checks region3 for parts in model “hag” every .5 seconds, however no matter how many waits I add into the loop, I get “game script timeout” error. I’m not sure what this means, as without the loop the script only checks region3 once.

Here’s my code.

local part = script.Parent
local min = part.Position - (2.5 * part.Size)
local max = part.Position + (2.5 * part.Size)
local region = Region3.new(min, max)
local parts = workspace:FindPartsInRegion3WithWhiteList(region, {workspace.hag}, 20) --  ignore part

function lol()
for _, part in pairs(parts) do 
    if part.Name == "e81" then print "found" 
        part.BrickColor = BrickColor.new("Really black") else print "nothing"
	end
	 end
	 end

while true do 
	function lol()
		wait()
		end
			end

You’re creating a new function within the infinite loop instead of calling the function. You can call a function by putting 2 parenthesis next to the function name like so: lol() instead of function lol() ... end and it’ll run the code within the function.

Also, the reason your script is timing out is because the infinite loop is executing the code faster than the timeout limit. You can mitigate this by calling wait within your infinite loop.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how I missed that lol, however I still have the issue of the function only finding and changing the properties of one brick, and nothing else.

Are all of your parts called “e81” and are all of the parts located on the script parent?

Yes, they’re in a model named “hag” which is defined here
local parts = workspace:FindPartsInRegion3WithWhiteList(region, {workspace.hag}, 20

however it only changes a single part

Try creating the Region3 for every loop iteration and see if the parts are detected then like so:

local part = script.Parent

function lol()
	local min = part.Position - (2.5 * part.Size)
	local max = part.Position + (2.5 * part.Size)
	local region = Region3.new(min, max)
	local parts = workspace:FindPartsInRegion3WithWhiteList(region, {workspace.hag}, 20) --  ignore part

for _, part in pairs(parts) do 
		if part.Name == "e81" then
			print "found" 
	                part.BrickColor = BrickColor.new("Really black")
		else 
			print "nothing"
		end
	end
end

while true do
	wait(1)
	lol()
end
2 Likes

That worked perfectly.
Thank you!