Game servers start failing after 250K players

EDIT: Everything seems to be working now! Thank you Roblox for your rapid response in DM!

• Describe the bug. Describe what is happening when the bug occurs. Describe what you would normally expect to occur.

For two consecutive days, after Adopt Me’s player count crossed the 250,000 player count threshold our servers started to fail. Yesterday when we published our pets update that brought our concurrent count above 400k, it spawned a large body of dead servers that were preventing people from properly loading into our game. We shut down servers in the evening and no dead servers spawned during that time period. Everything seemed fine for the next 10 hours until we crossed the 250k player count threshold the next morning when I suddenly started receiving a lot of complaints on twitter about broken servers. Soon after our player count dropped 50,000 players.

That’s where we are right now. We’ve watched our test server live longer than 50 hours so it shouldn’t be our codebase’s issue. We think it has to do something with the scalability of roblox’s resources, but beyond that we have no idea what’s going on because our developer console isn’t working in these servers. Any clarification from Roblox engineering would be greatly appreciated.

16 Likes

Yesterday when I was keeping an eye on the game in my own time I saw servers getting overfilled on the game’s page (sometimes by as much as 10 extra players). I believe it might be an issue with too many people trying to join at once, but I can’t say for certain; I just thought I would add that here in case it was relevant.

1 Like

That’s definitely not good and should be filed as a bug report as well. In our specific case, it shouldn’t be an issue up to 100 players, since our game was originally designed to handle up to 100 players

2 Likes

Hey NewFissy,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. Our engineering team is actively investigating.

We will follow up with more information as we learn more from the team.

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.