Game Settings 100% Broken in Studio

I was trying to use Game Settings to update our game’s icon & avatar settings but noticed Game Settings doesn’t work after this update.

This is critical because you cannot change some of these settings from the website anymore, so they are stuck until this bug is fixed.

PlaceId: 659222129
Team Create: yes

Opening the menu shows all of the fields, but they never populate and I cannot Save / Cancel.

12 Likes

Is this still happening? Does anything display in the Output?

4 Likes

Tried on a separate PC on a separate network thismorning, still happens.

This is the only output (ignore the assetId error on the line below)

Which I am assuming is team create connecting? It never prints any sort of “Connection Success” message so it’s tough to know what this actually means.

1 Like

We had a service outage last night, so wanted to double check that wasn’t the cause. If it’s still happening ,it looks like it may be related to the game/place. We’ll investigate further. Thanks for the report!

1 Like

I was able to track down the culprit. When we fetch a list of all the places in the game, the endpoint only returns 10 at a time, but the implementation of Game Settings only makes one request. Since the linked game has almost double that many places, the start place isn’t returned by the singular request, and Game Settings fails to load because of an unexpected result.

While easy to fix, this was not related to any recent flags, so we will be unable to ship said fix until the next release. We will audit all of our web requests to make sure anything that can page loads more than just the first page to make sure this doesn’t happen again. Apologies for blocking you from updating your game settings :(

15 Likes

This still seems to be broken. I’m opening it in the Robloxian High School place, which does not have Team Create enabled.

3 Likes

How many places are in the game?

1 Like

These are the other places in under that game:

1: https://www.roblox.com/games/2499782443/TEAMPZ-MEGA-Map
2: https://www.roblox.com/games/4158079576/AE-Public-Test
3: https://www.roblox.com/games/4801058005/Robloxian-High-School-Groups-Place-Number-36

Investigating now. In the meantime, you can work around this by configuring the game/place settings on the website via the Create page.

2 Likes

Not able to download/open past versions of the game via the website, which was my intention for using it. Not a problem right now since there are other ways to get it.

Hel Subcritical_alt, I have gotten this aswel, the thing is what I think it might’ve been the problem and causing it is bad network connection. Not sure if it is but I have gotten this thing aswel, if your game isn’t saved it won’t let you save again.

2 Likes

If this is more of a sporadic problem caused by network connection, this may be a separate issue than what @Usering is experiencing (as far as I understand, it happens 100% of the time for the given place?)

Is this something that happens sporadically or 100% of the time? If 100% of the time, for every place or just a specific one? If a specific place, can you include the place link?

1 Like

I’ve also got this problem. However, my game’s only got 1 place.

EDIT: I can test my game via Roblox Studio, but can’t play the game via normal roblox.

I don’t use the IsInGroup in my game, but I’ll create a script with it and come back to you.

Used this script:

game.Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(plr)
	if plr:IsInGroup(6811774) then
		print("yes")
	end
end)

“yes” prints successfully.

EDIT: I can now edit game settings

This is now happening to me too. I cannot close anything. I lost everything I built because I could not save my work.

5 Likes

I had something similar happen to me, and apparently behind the error screen was basically my Roblox character in R6 (for context, I was changing the Avatar type to R6 instead of R15)

Does this help?

7 Likes

I can confirm this, I was actually coming to the DevForum to post this bug, but it seems as it is already known. It is still indeed happening, no matter the game, or no matter the team create or not, for me personally, this happens every 2nd time saving, and when I save, I need to go to task manager to close the app, and when I am back in the place it actually saves the settings just then.

This time I was changing the name.

Original name.

Clicking save bugs this out…

At this point I closed the app thru the task manager… Now reopening the auto-save…

Did not save anything yet…

Now overwriting the place with its save file.

And it just then updates…?

Now I don’t know how this all works, maybe its just like that… But overall this is what happens to me. I ignored it for the past 2 weeks (the time I came back from my vacation aka the first time I experienced the bug myself) but it just got frustrating everytime saving, having to go thru the task manager, closing the studio, blah blah blah, and just then saving it finally.
Also rip for those people that don’t have auto-save on. their work is lost if this happens.

(Also for everyone pointing out their avatars in the background, that is probably just for the avatar changing procedure, that has been there way in the past, you could actually use that to your advantage when changing the scale options, you just have to move the game settings window, and you can see live changes that those settings do and adjust the avatar option to your needs without going to the test play mode.)

1 Like

Same happenned to me, welp even though i have auto saves on Studio decided to just dont make any for past few days. Lost today good 3 days of work…

Last auto save in folder. I found was made a week ago. The worst thing is that this is going for weeks and roblox cant fix it.

2 Likes