Gamepass Exclusives vs In-Game Currency

Hey there guys! In your professional opinion as game designers, which makes more sense?

A: Have all in game items and features be unlockable with in-game currency (with the exception of a few promotional exclusives)

B: Have most in-game items and festuees be unlockable with in-game currency, but reserve a few features and item sets as available only through gamepass (with the same few exceptions)

I can see reasoning for both. If you could help me determine the best route to go that would be great. Thanks!

3 Likes

My game is aiming at doing Option B. Right now, it’s just gamepass based.

I’d go for Option B because you’ll probably earn more revenue from it. Gamepasses are good, but are usually only for premium features like ‘Insanity Mode’ (Vehicle Simulator) and rather not for purchasing content such as a new car. In-game currency is more dynamic and you can spread its usage throughout your game to buy several things, like in Ultimate Driving, you can buy cars, gasoline, and bounty payoffs.

The downside is that if you don’t secure your currency firmly, it can be prone to exploits and people can manipulate your system so it gives them any amount they desire.

2 Likes

Including both options will be the best way to extend the game’s lifespan in general,

• Unlock items (Currency)
  • Unlock Feature (Currency)
  • Unlock Exclusive (Gamepass)

People will play the game repetively to archive their goals, as long he’s having fun playing the game, he will be able to know his progress just from the amount of items he have acquired from his efforts. in short, it could be considered as achievement for the player, constantly rewarding the player is pretty attractive and will motivate them once more as their final objective is coming closer.

On this kind of plan, a x2 Coins gamepass could eventually interest any regular players.

3 Likes

Thanks! Do you have any tips on securing currency?

I like your thinking! One thing I’m wondering though is if a 2x coins gamepass would hurt currency dev product sales too much. Or is that not often the case?

1 Like

Gamepasses and one time purchases can help a player become a spending player and can invest them into the game. Once you’ve made that connection with a player, developer products and consumable purchases can then keep them engaged and spending.

5 Likes

Brilliant, I forgot how about much more valuable a player becomes after spending once. Should I keep that initial gamepass at a low price? Say 50-75 robux?

If you want to secure it, I recommend a system that detects if a value was forcefully changed by an unknown source (i.e the exploiting player) and then it kicks (or any punishment) them from the game and resets their earnings. Of course, you can adjust whatever happens to your own liking.

I don’t script, so I wouldn’t be able to assist you with such coding, but I do have referrals.

1 Like

If you could DM some of those referrals that would be great. Thanks!

It’s worth noting that in the event that you have to refund a player for any reason, it’s significantly easier (and doesn’t feel as terrible) to refund the item equal to the in-game currency than to do it with R$.

Buuut that’s a minor inconvenience when compared to what VitalWinter said, getting devoted players greatly overshadows that issue, but I suppose it’s something to keep in mind.

1 Like

It could indeed affect Coins Product,
Although if it’s hard to earn coins, they’ll eventually buy both of it, but at this point i don’t think the player-freeplay will appreciate the difference of progress and making the game ressembling to a pay 2 win.

You’ll need to find a very good balance of the In-Game earnings and make ANY players feels constantly progressing, whenever it’s has spent 1,000 robux or 0.

1 Like

The best way to secure currency is to store the value on the server and validate any change you make. The idea is that the client knows how much currency they have but the only method they have to change it is through controlled remote events so any other change the client makes doesn’t modify the real value on the server.

1 Like