Games require multiple attempts to launch on Apple Silicon (M1 MacBook Air)

Reproduction Steps
Launch any game on an M1 MacBook Air.

System Information:

Expected Behavior
The expectation is that the game would launch.

Actual Behavior
When attempting to launch any game on my M1 MacBook Air the player will launch in the taskbar (no “starting game” pop-up), open the Roblox discover page in my browser and then close immediately. It can sometimes take well over a dozen attempts to get the game to actually begin starting. Re-installing multiple times has had no effect.

Workaround
Closing all other programs seems to reduce the number of tries required, but not entirely fix the issue, so it could easily be a placebo effect. Assuming it isn’t just a placebo, it may be that the Rosetta emulation of Roblox is taking too much memory, but again, there are users who don’t have this issue and I’m not using the base level of memory.

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Crashing
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2021-10-01 00:10:00 (-04:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2021-10-07 00:10:00 (-04:00)
A private message is associated with this bug report

6 Likes

After further testing it appears this is only an issue with launching from Firefox, Safari works just fine. It also appears to be unrelated to memory, as it is just as difficult to join a small game as it is a large game. Firefox seems to be entirely unable to launch games now, though I gave up after two dozen attempts.

Happening to me on Windows 10, using Firefox.

Hello, is it still happening, and only in Firefox? If yes, can you check in Firefox preferences that “Use Roblox” is selected as an action for roblox-player Content Type?

Firefox uses its own mechanism of handling external links instead of relying on the OS settings. We are working on better handling of Roblox links from Firefox, and expect it will be fixed soon. I’ll post updates here.

If you encounter link handling issues in other browsers, please let us know.