"Games" (Universes) need a website redo

Lets take a look at the games page rn:

Now lets point out a few things.

Every time you make a place, it automatically makes a new universe game. You can’t delete these games either, and you can’t make your own without making a place. This really doesn’t make sense. Honestly, Universes should be create-able and delete-able. Also, shouldn’t the name of the game be the title in the games page?

Notice how the univese title isn’t on the main place. Very inconsistent and weird.

I believe this is how they should be implemented:

When you create a new place, it does not automatically create a game. It instead asks you if you would like to add it to an already existing game. Depending on your option, it will either create a new game to contain the place, add it to an existing game, or not add it to any game at all. If the place is not part of a game, it’s unplayable.

(The way I wanted it originally was that places that aren’t part of games are playable, but this would remove a lot of options that are only available to games and screw up some of my other ideas.)

If you decide to add the place to an existing game, you have an option to set it to the main place automatically.

In the games page, you can create new games AND delete games. If you refer to the first picture, you’ll see I have two places that don’t have a starting place and would very much like to remove them.

EDIT: Let me add that it would also be nice to archive places. Some people have way too many places and would really like to be able to hide them in the develop page, allowing them to concentrate on their latest projects.

When viewing the game from the actual game place (refer to the 3rd picture,) the title should be of the game, not the place. This means that pictures, logo, gamepasses, badges, etc. should also be part of the game settings and not place settings.

(This one would be a very big update as it will change all the games on roblox, but it would make more sense for it to work this way imo. Of course, this could be done later, the other ones shouldn’t be that hard to implement.)

Why?
When I look at the game and place tab of the develop page, it looks like a mess. This is inevitable as games were added much later. The goal of this feature request is to implement games in a way they make sense.

And these are all my opinions. If someone has a better way of fixing the weirdness of games and places, please post below.

19 Likes

Literally any change would be good.

Since the introduction of universes I’ve never used them once nor understood their purpose. If anything they complicate something that doesn’t need complicating. Why not just a way to link two places such that they share datastore and such instead of this over-complicated universe system?

Current “Game” settings would instead be put into the normal place settings but sync between linked games, any other settings would be per place like currently.

4 Likes

The universe system is pretty much broken, as evidenced by the egg hunt

2 Likes

What do you mean? I work with universes every day (not as an intern, just as a community member) and I have not had a single problem in years.

1 Like

I like the universe system a lot. The underlying system seems fine. What needs work is how we interface with them, especially on the website.

I actually like that a “game” is a set of 1 or more places. That makes sense. If you use other game engines, you might be familiar with creating “scenes” for your games, which are kind of synonymous with “places” on Roblox.

So, IMO, I think Games should be the focal point on Roblox, not Places. Games should be what show up on your profile and such. Places should just be the underlying pieces of the game, of which should never show up to the user.

12 Likes

Exactly what I want as well. It just makes so much more sense.

However, imaging how much time it would take to do such a thing. They’d have to change so much stuff in so many different places.

Possible things they would have to do:

• game.GameId
  • Teleport has to take game ids
  • Every place that is Favorited would have to change the link from placeid to gameid
  • Many changes in code
4 Likes

Universes are not broken in a technical sense, but fundamentally with ROBLOX being a social game the transition between universe servers tends to break social groups and makes it difficult to maintain parties within and between servers. I consider that broken.

5 Likes