Geometry of various panes gets stuck intermittently

Problem

Sometimes the geometry of various panes in Roblox Studio gets stuck and will not save. For instance, the output window size. When I change the height of it then subsequently exit Studio, when I start Studio back up, the output window reverts to it’s original geometry before I changed it.

This is the original layout. Designation is layout 1.

This is the changed layout. Designation is layout 2.

After changing the layout from layout 1 to layout 2 and then exiting Studio. When I start Studio again, the layout it starts with is layout 1. In other words, it is not saving the current layout when Studio exits, or it’s ignoring the layout changes.

What I expect to happen is that the layout is saved in all situations. The problem seems to occur most often when multiple Studio sessions are open. Beyond that, it seems to happen at random. When it does happen, it will not save changes no matter what I do, and it’s constant.

Parameter Value
Type Roblox Studio
Area Window Geometry
First Noticed A long time ago, > 1 year
Frequency Random/Intermittent (but constant when it bugs out.)
Impact Low/Moderate
Annoyance Level Moderate
System Windows 10 Professional RTM 22H2 Build 19045.3324

Reproduction

I really don’t have any steps to reproduce this since I don’t really know what causes it to bug out as it seems to happen randomly. However, as mentioned before, when it does bug out, it happens all the time.

Additional Information

I have included below an excerpt from the machine’s registry hive that this happens on. As of right now, the problem is occurring.

Log/dump files were attached to the internal ticket by a Roblox Staff (@Focia19), due to the sensitive information they may contain, will not be shared publicly!

3 Likes

We’ve filed a ticket into our internal database for this issue, and we will update you when we have further information!

Thanks for the report!

Hello,

My first guess is that this is a result of the layout being forced reset when we detect the docking layout is corrupted. This should be pretty rare, so would need to understand a little more about the frequency. Also what would be most conclusive would be a log from the session where you notice the layout being reset, and the session immediately preceding that. (That would be the two most recent log files in the log folder after you close the session where you see the layout being reset).

Also, is it only the output window you notice the effect on, or are other windows affected as well? And how many docking windows do you have open on average? Also, do you make use or have installed a large number of plugins?

It’s not really that rare. It happens occasionally, and it seems to happen more when multiple instances of Studio are running at the same time. I make a change to the layout in one instance and that’s when it usually breaks. When it happens, all windows are affected. I don’t have a lot of plugins enabled.

The plugins that I have enabled are:

• Moon Animator 2
  • Rigedit Plus
  • Tool Grip Editor

The plugins that are installed but not enabled are:

• Advanced Terrain Plugin
  • Archimedes
  • Atrazine’s Terrain Plugin V2
  • Atrazine’s Terrain Plugin V2 (Edited)
  • AutoScale Lite
  • Brick Cutter
  • Mesh Editor
  • Part to Terrain
  • Stravant - Gapfill & Extrude
  • Stravant - ResizeAlign

The plugins that are not enabled I rarely use and I am thinking about removing them. When the problem happens, I have developed a workaround that corrects it, but it involves using the registry editor to delete window_geometry_ribbon under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Roblox\RobloxStudio\LayoutSettings\ while Studio is not running. That unsticks the window geometry and resets it to the default without wiping out all my Studio settings. Because it seems to happen only when multiple instances of Studio are running, could it be a race condition involving registry access?

Hi @Maelstorm_1973, if you have multiple instances of Studio running, the last one that you close saves the settings for all of the previous instances that you had open. If your workaround is deletion of the window_geometry_ribbon key under Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Roblox\RobloxStudio\LayoutSettings, it means that you’re resetting the location and the size of Studio. It does not have a direct effect on the layout that you see within Studio, but by resetting the size some of your dock panels can get resized to accommodate the new size of Studio. It would be good to have concrete repro steps so we can look into it more throughly and try to fix it.

Ok. I have not noticed it as of late. I don’t know if there were some updates to the window docking system since I posted the bug report. I have noticed that the layout does reset sometimes after a studio update. As for the registery, which key should I be deleting then when this happens? Most of the time, I have one or two studio sessions open. Sometimes that can go to three or four depending one what I’m doing.

The layout resets when you have docking layout corruption. Do you think you have experienced it? Here’s a link to the thread that describes it:
Studio environment/script editor viewport stuck outside of Studio client - Bug Reports / Studio Bugs - Developer Forum | Roblox.

When your layout is reset, your Studio will start with only these 4 dock panels - you will see 1) Toolbox and 2) Terrain Editor on the left and 3) Explorer and 4) Properties on the right:

If the above view is what you see, then your layout did indeed get reset due to docking corruption. We have rolled out a beta feature (Updated Docking System) that is addressing the layout corruption.

You can manually reset your also by pressing Ctrl+ Alt+ P and then typing Reset View and selecting that action. Studio will restart with a reset layout as above. There’s no need to delete any registry key.

Since you’re not seeing this anymore, I’m going to mark this as fixed.

1 Like

Well, I wondered why it does that from time to time. I have seen it do this several times…recently in fact. I think it was two weeks ago I last saw it. Now that I know what to look for, I’ll post the logs the next time it happens.

Windows 10 is particularly prone to corruption so I highly recommend enabling the new docking system beta!

@robloxtuesdays0611, @MeshOfPaul I see. I have enabled the updated docking system so we’ll see how well it works. I’ll keep you posted.

1 Like

It’s been about a month and so far I have not experienced any issues relating to docking windows or layout corruption. So I believe that corrected the issue. I’m going to mark this as solved.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.