Docking Updates [Full Release]

UPDATE 4/25/2024:
With all known outstanding issues fixed, today we are switching over out of Beta and this will be the new docking scheme going forward.

:bangbang: PLEASE NOTE :bangbang: When this feature is enabled, your window layout will be reset to the default layout. You should only experience this once.

Original Post…

Hi Creators,

Today we have released a new docking system for your testing and feedback. This release is primarily to resolve the layout corruption issues that some of you have experienced over the past several months. If you have experienced regular layout corruption PLEASE turn this Beta feature on (this includes issues with 3D view when going from edit to play testing)

In addition to being extremely stable, this new system is meant to be easier to use while supporting your preferred layout. We hope you will agree!

In this new docking scheme, there are 9 docking regions in the Main Studio Window. Each region can be split into 3 panels or be completely empty where they will take up zero additional screen space while you’re working.

Within those split panels, you can tab as many panels as you like and there is no limit to how many total panels can be docked into a region. Studio will keep track of where you dock a panel and it will always restore back to that area even if you hide/close the panel.

The Center region is still the primary docking area for the 3D Viewport and Scripts. With this release we have brought back the functionality to undock and float the 3D Viewport. Just like with the original docking system, you can float as many panels as you would like by dragging them out of the main window.

Finally, our team has been working constantly on this issue for most of this year as a top priority Quality of Life issue. We thank everyone that has been helping us track it down and patiently waiting for resolution.

189 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

I’ll be sure to turn it on today! Thank you for finally addressing the problems with docking :pray:

If I hit more corruption, would you prefer I DMed you on our DM thread we had, or file a new bug report?

16 Likes

THANK YOU! <3

This was a much needed update, often it was causing such an issue to open certain tabs

6 Likes

Bug fixes are always great, but this update removed the ability to collapse windows into the side! You know, the ones that close automatically when you click away from them.

@BritishTrainspotting Your layout will be reset with this update.

20 Likes

When this feature is rolled out upon full release, will our current layouts automatically convert to the new system or will we have to recreate them from the default layout?
Can you also implement a lock button to the tab for windows so their position and size becomes locked?

4 Likes

While the docking update continues to be worked on, I once again ask for Enum.InitialDockState.Main for Dock Widgets.

That or a complete rework to how initial dock states are initialised because I believe it could be expanded on to take full advantage of this docking update.

9 Likes

Currently with the docking, if you have multiple instances/places open and make changes to one of the window’s layout, it won’t save after closing.

Is there any possibility we could see changes from one window being reflected to the other windows instantly, so if I open 2 windows, change the first window, it would save?

Also glad to see the return of being able to pop out the viewport, this was pretty useful for me to fit the view on another screen.

9 Likes

Found this a few days early I guess if the announcement is just coming today :wink:

I turned this on a few days ago when I noticed it in beta features, and since using it, my corruption issues that used to impede significantly on my development have dropped to zero thus far. Nice work.

3 Likes

If you can file a bug report, it’s easier for us to track! Log files are always helpful too.

3 Likes

Woohoo! As someone who uses a fairly custom layout that has been reset many times over the last while, this is a very welcome change. I’ve been messing around with it for the last several minutes and I’ve noticed the collapsible tab feature is either moved or missing? I’m a generalist developer who works with all aspects of studio which often leads to having a lot of docked tabs and layers that make it difficult to navigate. The collapsible tab feature is important to me since I use it for windows that I don’t use very often but still need accessible, or windows that require a lot of horizontal space (I personally use it for the Material Manager, Toolbox, and a datastore editor plugin.) Would love to know if I’ve missed it or if this feature was cut for a certain reason or if it was simply overlooked!

Here is a screenshot of my preferred layout with the toolbox on the top left and the material manager on the bottom left. I use these tabs frequently but having them constantly taking up my screen isn’t viable, nor is opening them on demand when you consider that the toolbox, material manager and plugins are all in different tabs on the header.
Overall, very happy with this and I’m glad to see you’re working on the major frustration points developers have been experiencing lately!

11 Likes

I would find immense use if this was indeed added, its quite irritating having to close and reopen studio instances.

I would also love to see native support to open multiple places within the same instance of studio, rather than closing and opening places all the time or having multiple instances open at once which isn’t very memory or GPU friendly.

1 Like

Yes that’s correct but I will note this as a vote to bring back auto-hide panels.

9 Likes

Slightly unrelated but how do you collapse and extend windows?

Wowowow thank you so much!!! Gone are the days when studio just stops responding when adjusting my tabs and docking I can’t thank y’all enough!!

1 Like

With the arrow button on the top right of a tab. It’ll give you a little context menu asking if you’d like to collapse or undock the current tab. It isn’t there in the beta though!

EDIT: There’s also an “arrow into square” icon to the right of the dropdown arrow that collapses

1 Like

We are going to see if it’s possible to “migrate” old layouts. But our priority in the short term was getting confirmation this scheme will work for everyone.

I assume on the lock idea you mean it disables the ability to drag the separators between regions?

2 Likes

+1 on that vote for auto-hide panels. I’ve been eagerly anticipating these fixes, but I will wait a little longer if it means I can keep using those panels. It’s more important to me to have larger workspaces for panels I use more often.

5 Likes

Thanks! At a glance, I think this layout will work with the current regions, including the tabbed panels (just simply don’t split West-0).

This new docking system does a much better job of restoring panels back to where they were last docked, so opening on demand might work better for you. I actually like West-1 for my “temporary” panels that I hide/show as needed.

1 Like

Dang, I feel like a lot of folks are gonna get burned by the lack of collapsing panel support. I know several coworkers who use that feature ad-nauseum.

Hoping this won’t end up releasing in an unfinished state, because this is a very promising update for studio. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like