Get Ready for Updated Experience Controls

Great to see! I’ve been watching this go in and out of testing multiple times and I’m happy that y’all are finally adding it! Really happy that the microphone button is being moved away from above the avatar. The amount of times I had UI over my screen and I turned on my microphone was too much.

No offense, the old/current Top Bar UI is kind lackluster. So, this is a major improvement! Thanks :tongue:

1 Like

It’s great but I still fail to see why we can’t completely hide it. Saying that “it creates consistency” is dumb because at the end of the day, you remove all of the buttons and the only one that is left is a report button. Most people don’t even use reports and it’s also in the menu. @TheRealANDRO also demonstrated how both button areas are the same amount of clicks away as well.

13 Likes

I’ve personally gotten used to the top bar size during the Studio beta - it’s not that bad once you’ve had more exposure to it.

Is there a limit for landscape mode for developers to make sure their menus are not blocked by Roblox?

1 Like

Will there ever be advanced graphical settings or the use of side mouse buttons? The recent updates only seem to benefit mobile users.

1 Like

This new UI is hardly any difference in terms of size for mobile users, but for PC it is much larger than it should be…

11 Likes

at this point pc players dont exist for them anymore

and if they end up responding with something like “oh we care about you guys” you obviously dont, at least not enough to consider the fact that this is too big for someone who uses a literal keybind to open the menu anyway

i think theyre trying to watermark it, ngl

9 Likes

roblox are actively moderating any negative opinions about this topic, this is not democracy. I can’t even say my opinion on how I dislike the mobile-centric UI without getting a “trolling” warn, have you really stooped that low as a company to warn people for merely stating their opinion?

12 Likes

If you think that stating feedback means calling it goyslop multiple times then I might check again.

3 Likes

Still unfortunately quite saddened by the fact that some of the concerns I (and many others) raised in my post about this UI change have still seemingly not been addressed.

Most importantly to me, personally, is how the ‘report’ button always exists in the MRU despite it being no more accessible than hitting the Roblox logo and going to the report tab (same amount of taps). Forcing the MRU on-screen when there is no real reason to need to do so. The only reason why I could assume that this was done is because there are likely plans to have more forced options in the future. If anything, that brings me more fear because new core features being forced into my experience isn’t exactly something that I really look forward to all of the time. As a developer, I just want the bare minimum to be forced by the CoreGui; nice to have features should be either optional or made as developer-modules. No offence to any of the teams who are behind these UIs, they work really well for the majority of genres of experiences; however me (and many other creators) also make experiences which do not benefit from certain new CoreGui features and would rather disable them instead; the reasons why we may want to do that varies but a few common cases are:

• The style of said new UI conflicts with our experience UI
  • The feature simply isn’t useful in our particular experiences
  • We’ve used unconventional methods to make our experience, so the feature just simply doesn’t work properly
  • We don’t want the feature being used in our experience (provides a competitive advantage or ruins immersion)
    Note that every experience is different, so what is a problematic feature for one experience may not be for another

I know it may be argued that allowing developers to disable or customise these features may make it confusing for players, and while that is true; leaving features enabled that don’t fit the experience can be arguably more confusing to players and could come across as bad game design.

For a little bit of context on my personal scenario, I make a lot of entirely UI-based experiences that simply do not support most CoreGui features (all CoreGui is disabled and resetting is also disabled) and yet I still have to account for the MRU in my design despite it only providing the option to report the experience in the same amount of clicks as opening the Escape menu. It is quite disappointing to see this being the case.

Note that I would also highly recommend any staff member to read the topic linked above (in this reply) in-full to get a more diverse view on this feature from the community; many of the older replies are outdated given bug patches that have since come out but some of the points still unfortunately stand, regardless. I’ll likely add a new reply to my topic discussing the updated state of the experience controls later this week.

22 Likes

Would you consider adding support so we can create our own 3 dot menu in the top right? A lot of players have told me they prefer its existence because its responsible for opening the leaderboard (which is also on the top right) and I must say I echo their opinion.

Maybe even a toggle for developers to decide?

3 Likes

Hasn’t this new interface been released for quite a while now? For some reason every game that i’ve seen it in, is now back to the older interface, and this one doesn’t appear anymore.
It’s currently only present in studio now. This affected the way one of my games that uses custom chat, playerlist, etc, looks like. For some reason the interface shows over despite it being disabled, will there be any way to disable it for certain experiences in the future, in favor of custom chats or playerlists?

I called it goyslop once, then once the first feedback came through, I changed the post into a more constructive deconstruction about what I dislike about the update. No real reason for the second post to be deleted

roblox is using 1984 as an instructional book

2 Likes

I was summoned

in other words, I completely agree of us needing a dislike button, but that would not be possible as roblox cannot do anything about that, If you would like to request it to be added, you should send that request to discourse, roblox’s forum provider.

they were testing it at that point, not every user had it

that was satire used to emphasize how much i dislike this downdate

1 Like

Haha, good one. Roblox opinions =/= political ideals

3 Likes

I picked that up,

I used that description just so my post didn’t get taken down for just being “I was summoned”

3 Likes

The muted icon not constantly being on the player’s head is a win in my book, but

having the hamburger menu still appear on the top left corner when everything is disabled seems distracting and immersion-breaking for games that opt out of it. The pause menu already exists. I also don’t like the size, but otherwise I think it’s a decent design.

27 Likes

Ah, okay. It’s just weird I had it and then it disappeared. I just hope this won’t be breaking any games that use custom chat or leaderboard

Any way to test the latest version in-game? I heard concerns about “Desktop size” being too big, and i’d like to try it out on a 1440px screen

1 Like

i’m honestly more concerned about ui that’s designed to fit the current controls, for example, starscape

1 Like

the majority of roblox’s audience is mobile and ui is a key factor for user experience especially kids- so i disagree. to call the desktop client an afterthought is wild bc every single member on devforum has to at least own a pc of sort and you cant use studio anywhere else… this gotta be ragebait

3 Likes