Get Ready for Updated Experience Controls

Hello Creators,

We’re thrilled to announce the release of our updated experience controls on October 15. These updated experience controls will be available to all users on the platform, excluding console and VR devices. Our aim with this update is to provide familiar and persistent Roblox controls, making it simpler for all users to access their most frequently used actions.

Why are we updating experience controls?

Our current UI lacks the flexibility to seamlessly integrate new features like voice chat, captures, Party, and music. For example, when users enable their microphone for voice chat today, the mic icon hovers above their avatar, disrupting the experience. With voice chat enabled in over 69% of the top 100 experiences[1.] removing these icons was one of the most requested improvements. Our updated experience controls solve this by integrating the mic icon directly into the experience controls, reducing clutter. This update simplifies access for users while offering developers a cleaner canvas for creative innovation.

[1.] Top experiences are defined by engagement (user time spent) through 6/30/24.

Making it easier for your users to access features like voice chat, captures, and soon, Party, should also improve key metrics for your experience. Voice enabled experiences tend to see higher user engagement, increased time spent, and more in-experience purchases. Captures, on the other hand, make it easier for your experience to be discovered when users share it with others. With the upcoming launch of Party and video captures, easier access to these features will make them even more compelling for users to adopt.

Your feedback in action

Over the past 12 months of testing these controls, we’ve implemented changes that reflect your feedback.

Here’s a snapshot of what we’ve heard from you:

• Less Clutter: You asked for a cleaner interface, here’s what we’ve done:

• Removed the 3 dot menu on the right to align all Roblox reserved space to the left.
    • Removed mic and camera toggles above the users’ avatar.
    • Simplified menu states by eliminating expanded and collapsed modes from earlier designs, reducing visual clutter.
    • We’ve removed pinned features from the hamburger menu if your experience doesn’t support them, dynamically freeing up space in the sub menu for your users.
  • Ease of Transition: For experiences with conflicting UI, you asked for easier ways to make adjustments:

• Increased Height: Many of you asked why the reserved Roblox space increased from 36 to 44 pixels.

• The increased height adheres to accessibility best practices for tap targets, making it easier for users to tap their intended action.

For voice chat enabled experiences, the user’s mic icon moves to the upper left within experience controls. Speaker icons remain above other users to indicate when they are speaking.

Hamburger Menu > Music Enabled
Note: Music integration shown is not final

What’s new?

Hamburger Menu: Easier access to in-experience controls

• Report Abuse: Opens reporting UI
  • Self View: Toggles On/Off
  • Capture: Toggles screen capture UI On/Off
  • Leaderboard: Toggles On/Off
  • Emotes: Toggles Emotes UI On/Off
  • Inventory: Toggles On/Off
  • Respawn (Also Known As: Reset Character)

Persistent Icons within Experience Controls: Quick access for communication

• Text Chat: Toggles in-experience Chat UI (On/Off)
  • Microphone: Toggles On/Off!

Note: For this update, we’re keeping the current design of the Roblox/Tilt menu as is . However, we’re planning to enhance this design in future updates.

What does this mean for you?

If you’ve already implemented a design change using the experience control APIs, they will seamlessly accommodate any shifts in reserved space and avoid colliding.

If you haven’t made a design change yet, we highly recommend you use the TopbarSafeInsets API and signal API by October 15 to simplify the process of aligning your experience UI with our space requirements and avoiding collisions.

Pro-Tip: Use the TopbarSafeInsets API for effortless responsive design. It smartly positions your GuiObjects within the safe zone, avoiding collision with Roblox UI. Your ScreenGui will auto-adjust its size and position for a hassle-free, seamless fit.

The TopbarSafeInsets API and signal API, are accessible across both Roblox client and Studio.

Please note that not making these changes may lead to instances where your UI overlaps with Roblox’s experience controls during the test and for the final release.

Adventure Awaits!

Our modernized experience controls are poised to significantly enhance user interaction and engagement within your experiences. We’re looking forward to the launch on October 15th and can’t wait to hear your feedback. Thank you for your continued support.

Let’s create amazing experiences together!

FAQ

Click here to view the FAQ!

How do I disable the in-experience controls?

• You cannot change the location or visibility of the experience controls. They will be on the left and sit next to the Roblox tilt menu. The goal is to create a consistent experience for leaderboard, inventory, voice, chat, reporting, etc. across all experiences.

If my experience doesn’t support a feature listed in the hamburger menu, will the feature still appear in this menu?

• No, for example, if your experience hasn’t enabled voice chat or if you’ve disabled leaderboard, inventory or emotes - these features will not appear in the hamburger menu to users in your experience.

All Creator controlled features disabled in experience

What happens to the three dot menu in the top right of the screen?

• We are removing the three dot menu from the top right of the screen entirely and replacing it with a hamburger menu next to the Roblox menu. You are welcome to fully customize the top right of the screen to meet the demands of your experience. We also recommend adopting our two APIs TopbarInset and ScreenInsets to always be aware of where Roblox UI is placed on-screen.

While disabling leaderboard, inventory, and emotes used to hide the three dot menu, this will not be the case for the hamburger menu as Report Abuse will always be available via the hamburger menu and cannot be disabled.

How wide will the Roblox reserve space be?

• Experience controls will have various widths depending on the number of communication (voice chat, text chat) icons enabled and as a result, experience controls and the Roblox menu could occupy the entire width (portrait mobile) of the device screen. We recommend adopting our two APIs TopbarSafeInsets API and signal API to always be aware of where Roblox UI is placed on-screen.
164 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 9 minutes.

This is an ok update in my books but:

I’ll bring up this point again. Roblox should not be focusing on mobile-first because instead of helping people it just annoys desktop players because it seems like we are more of an afterthought at this point.

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/robloxs-incessant-pandering-towards-mobile-only-is-hurting-the-platform-as-a-whole/2569775

79 Likes

Super fun, but still not a fan of its height…

27 Likes

Finally, took a long time. Excited to see all of the changes I’ve made to align my ingame UI with the new Roblox core UI fall into place.

But please let developers integrate the VC speaking bubble into their own UI, or hide it when not in use and give us API to know when/where to move our own custom nametags.

20 Likes

Don’t bring the speech thing at top of the head back, unless the bug was fixed :thinking:

14 Likes

Oh, nice! Simplified controls and better voice chat integration sounds great!

9 Likes

Definitely should be smaller on desktop. Also some way to hide it for screenshots would be nice.

19 Likes

The hamburger icon is finally back! :happy4:

6 Likes

When you use the Captures utility, it will automatically hide the UI on any screenshots B)

10 Likes

Looks ugly and is too big. Also, where will the health bar go?

15 Likes

The new scaling looks fire! Thanks ROBLOX! Now i can finally play the popular ROBLOX “experience” known as “Dress to Impress” on my brand new smartwatch!

52 Likes

Can we get a reason for this? This is completely, and I mean it, completely useless.

Experience Controls > Report Menu (2 Clicks)
Roblox Menu > Report Panel (2 Clicks)

I see no benefits from this whatsoever as it takes the same amount of actions for a user to access the Report Menu, this only creates more clutter. This feature is advertised as an update that removes clutter and yet, it takes more space unnecessarily.

Many developers, including me, requested that you fix this, but unfortunately, you have done the opposite without providing a valueful response.

This statement becomes completely invalid when I run :SetCoreGuiEnabled(Enum.CoreGuiType.All, false). When there’s no purpose for a UI to exist, it shouldn’t exist. I have no idea how a multibillion-dollar company fails to realize this.

38 Likes

You guys clearly forgot about this didn’t you…
The background Transparency is at opaque but the unibar still doesn’t become opaque.

22 Likes

I think we should be able to slightly lower the reserved pixel space aswell as the size of the topbar.

If this feature is added, developers should be able to read the player’s customisations.
You could add it to the Device Preferences:

20 Likes

This is on the way-- the version of the experience controls in the studio beta doesn’t have all of the new features quite yet.

13 Likes

Can this please be smaller for keyboard and mouse users? We have no need for a large button, and to be completely honest, I have no memory of mobile players having ever complained about them being too small for them either. Their current size is satisfactory, and as someone with a smaller laptop screen, having them take up that much space just triggers me.

For the sake of democracy let’s start a poll

What is your opinion about the new experience controls?
  • I love it
  • I like it
  • Neutral/No Comment
  • I dislike it
  • I hate it

0 voters

14 Likes

Could we get an option to change the size of the Top Bar? Not everyone is on mobile, and it makes it a lot harder for desktop people

14 Likes

I completely agree with you. I think we should have more control over CoreGui and only be restricted by 1 unhidable main action button.

We should be able to hide the long bean!

11 Likes

Additionally, it is completely pointless to keep the menu around when the creator disables everything. It’s unnecessary clutter.

Also, why exactly is the report button in there? Everyone reports through the escape menu anyway, I cannot see a single instance of a person thinking harder to use the smaller button while in-game.

In other words, @DyzuOfficial was right about needing a dislike button on here

23 Likes