GetChildren only works sometimes?

You can write your topic however you want, but you need to answer these questions:

1. What do you want to achieve? Keep it simple and clear!
    i want the action text to change if the action text = the gun name in the table

2. What is the issue? Include screenshots / videos if possible!
    the script shows the action = either the gun or gun2 in the print yet prompts it to “buy” instead of “take”

3. What solutions have you tried so far? Did you look for solutions on the Developer Hub?
    tried string.match, tried tables, tried :GetChildren().

local action = script.Parent.Parent.ActionText.Text
local player = game.Players.LocalPlayer
local gun = {}
for i,v in pairs(game.Lighting.WEAPONSBOX:GetChildren()) do
	table.insert(gun,v.Name)

end

local UserInputService = game:GetService("UserInputService")

--HERE
	if action == "Barrier" then

script.Parent.Text = `Hold <font color="rgb(225,225,0)">F</font> to repair Barrier`
	else

for i,v in pairs(game.Lighting.WEAPONSBOX:GetChildren()) do
		if action == v.Name then

script.Parent.Text = `Hold <font color="rgb(225,225,0)">F</font> to Take {action}`
		else
			script.Parent.Text = `Hold <font color="rgb(225,225,0)">F</font> to Buy {action}`
		end
	end
	end	

so basically in weaponbox theres tools, i want to make it so if the proxyprompt action text matches the table or get children (so if the action text = “AK47” then ‘do stuff’ ) it’ll display the “take” text and if it doesnt match it’ll display the “buy” text.

The issue is if theres like one or 2 guns it’ll work. but adding in more tools i’ll get the “buy” text instead of the “take” text.

edit: adjusted script and description

2 Likes

i could do
if action == “Ak47” or action == “AUG” or (etc) then
but i’d like it to be in a table or getchildren

i added print statements. ironically the action text will print a gun in the weapons box, and the v will print the same value, yet it’ll display the “buy” text as if the action text does not match the v.Name…?

Do you mind providing an image of the hierarchy of the objects in your game?

Also, I wouldn’t recommend storing things in Lighting.

Do you mind providing a screenshot of where the script is located?

its the local script highlighted

Why is there a BillboardGui in your StarterPlayerScripts?

I tried recreating it without the GUI element (I’m just printing it out) with just a LocalSript in StarterPlayerScripts and “action” being set to a string named “Part1” (one of the parts I had in “WEAPONSBOX”), and it seems to work for me.

Also, what is the text in ActionText and are there any errors? Is there anything modifying ActionText? Have you tried replacing it with just a string to test it out?

I also noticed that the script selected is grayed out, which usually means a script is disabled. Is the “Enabled” property on for that script?

Refer to article :

This is what im using for the proxy prompt

I get no errors, and it works if theres 1 or 2 tools in weaponbox but with all of the tools it’ll display “hold F to buy (tool)” instead of “hold F to take (tool)” with no error

I even added a print statement for “action” and “v.Name” and both will display the same value, yet the script will handle it as if they are not the same value(again it works with 1 or 2 tools)

The disabled one is just something i was working on earlier (had some stuff for mobile + xbox detection) that i’ll work on once i get this working properly