GetDataStore erroring "400: Invalid Operation"

GetAsync isn’t returning any errors in my game and just returns nil, so it makes it seem like everyones data got wiped. Let’s hope that any data loss gets reverted because I had thousands of players on my game during the time that this happened. I ended up shutting down the game for the time being…

2 Likes

In a limited amount of testing, it almost seems like new servers were getting routed to an entirely new instance of the backing database. I confirmed that my new player data was saved and loaded again in two different new VIP servers, and then I joined an older server and my original data was loaded instead of the erroneous new data.

If this is the case, Roblox should be able to correct the issues without any actual data loss (other than whatever players did after joining when the issue was happening.) Let’s hope this is true.

1 Like

I’m fairly sure this is because of the new APIs being released tomorrow, so the Datastores may be having a bruh moment while they’re updating the API

Isn’t this also the reason why they died last weekend?

7 Likes

Oh, that makes sense, actually. This smells like the API is getting a different scope by default, now. I wonder if this is why some games aren’t affected? They might be passing something for the scope parameter.

@Hooksmith, you may want to take a look at this if you haven’t already.

1 Like

They’ll probably give a warning if they were going to change a datastore like that, if they do change the scope variable’s default value, expect a warning announcement post.

1 Like

Yeah my game doesn’t seem to be affected, no players are reporting losses, perhaps because all of the servers I’m joining are before this happened, whereas my other game I join a fresh server and my data is gone… it doesn’t seem to be happening in studio either from what I can see.

1 Like

I seriously doubt the change was intentional. Even the best make mistakes sometimes.

If this is the case, the problem is probably only happening in new servers and not in Studio because the Roblox game servers got the update rolled out to them before the client and Studio. It’s much simpler to do a release to hardware owned/operated by Roblox, after all.

1 Like

My game is also affected, had a few reports from players that they are having data loss. I handle data store errors properly and kick the player if data stores are ever down so this is quite serious.

I do wonder if it has something to do with the new DataStore API additions.

1 Like

Hey all, we’ve identified the issue and are currently working on resolving it!

15 Likes

So, anyone wanna take bets on what it was?

Can you let us know when it’s resolved?

Hoping it gets resolved soon. I am looking into my own group’s games currently, thanks for letting us know of the error.

I wonder if all datastores are returning nil and if this is permanent.

Is it safe to reopen our games?

I don’t think so, my games still seem to be experiencing data loss.

I just reopened my game and everything is back to normal. No data loss.

1 Like

3 Likes

According to the Roblox Status website, it appears that the issue is fixed. I’d still hold off until I get an official go-ahead though.

1 Like

I’ve reopened my game, looks like everything’s fine. The Roblox status site is an official go-ahead.

5 Likes

This is unfortunate. It seems that roblox datastores are back up, but my game has experienced a complete dataloss for anyone that played the game during the downtime, I will try to follow up to see If the data magically comes back.

2 Likes

Is the issue resolved yet? i just want to be 100% sure.