GetDataStore erroring "400: Invalid Operation"

GetDataStore is currently erroring in all new servers, with this starting from around 18:30 GMT today.

If you provide scope to the GetDataStore call, it errors as below:

However, if you leave scope empty it will silently fail and will return an empty DataStore that cannot be read from or written to properly.

25: local TestData = DSS:GetDataStore("test")
27: local PlayerData = DSS:GetDataStore("data","scope")

As you can see above, line 25 does not error, but line 27 does.

This occurs in all new servers of every game.

44 Likes

I can vouch for this issue - it is affecting multiple games on the platform - we’ve received tons of reports concerning data loss!

5 Likes

GetAsync errors silently if you don’t provide scope.

3 Likes

Hey! We’re currently investigating the issue. Please, stand by for an update.

34 Likes

I would recommend elevating this to critical priority, if you haven’t already. It seems like it’s returning nil with no errors for a lot of games, including mine. This makes it indistinguishable from a new player, meaning many games are going to be overwriting player’s data irretrievably.

8 Likes

I have reviewed some data loss recently. It was because of the website downage probably, but they will most likely resolve it soon, so no worries.

1 Like

We treat potential data loss like this at critical priority and our teams are acting accordingly. Apologies if this was not clear from the phrasing above.

15 Likes

Thanks, I know! I worked there for a few years on client team myself. I just wasn’t sure if the team was aware of this facet of the problem. Good luck to everyone involved, I know it’s stressful.

2 Likes

GetAsync errors silently if you don’t provide scope.

This might be why my data system isn’t catching any errors, therefore completely wiping players data in my game without me being able to do anything about it.

3 Likes

Should we private our games? I have seen Vehicle Simulator do this in the past 10 minutes

8 Likes

I think the recommendation currently is to completely shut down your game to prevent further complications. Adopt Me apparently is down for that reason.

1 Like

Is setasync still working? If thats the case, this is going to be a massive dataloss for my game causing tons of people to instantly quit the game due to them losing months worth of progress.

1 Like

I just shutdown my game to prevent any further loss of data. I’m hoping Roblox will do some sort of data revert because this is chaos.

2 Likes

Yes, possibly private games, if you do not want players to be mad at you for wasting their time, just make an announcement to private a game for a reason so then you can fix the datastores. I would definitely private games because it would be the best source. Players may be mad either way, but try resolving some problems by doing things that can possibly hide the datastore loss. I think you should make the game private.

2 Likes

i agree bro all my datastores are failing and returning nil

2 Likes

Shutting down games for a random time would be the best choice for a developer to do. Make datastores fixed because the other day the website had a maintenance and had issues. Making games private would be a good choice.

2 Likes

This has substantially impacted my game and now it is privated but I hope roblox does resolve this soon

1 Like

I’m not sure if this is possible? If you used something along the lines of DataStore2 as your data storage method there’s a chance that you could recover an older save, but as far as I know the error overrides the existing data. Feel free to correct if I’m wrong.

Seems like the error was fixed. I haven’t experienced anything on my own games, or in any other game as of me writing this reply.

2 Likes

Same here, but hopefully because I’m using datastore2 it wont overwrite any data. Ill close my game for now until this has blown over to make sure there is not dataloss.