GetFriendsOnline and similar TeleportService methods that advise its use to acquire JobId are incorrect, causing hard to debug problems

The pages in question are:

• Player | Roblox Creator Documentation, which states that GameId references the JobId of the place. This is incorrect, as it is the actual game ID itself, not the job ID.
  • TeleportService | Roblox Creator Documentation, which advises that GetFriendsOnline should be used to acquire the place and job ID (the “See Also” section). Once again, this is misleading because GameId is NOT the job ID as GetFriendsOnline states.

I just spent the past 30 minutes writing a scripting support thread because I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out why I got an “Unauthorized” error trying to use the data from GetFriendsOnline for the TeleportService | Roblox Creator Documentation method. I only realized that this was documentation was misleading after printing GameId and seeing that it does not follow the GUID format that JobId is expected to use, and was instead the ID of the main place for the experience in question.

Additionally, GetFriendsOnline does not even have a property that appropriately references the job ID of the server in question.

6 Likes

Weirdest thing is that the endpoint that appears to serve GetFriendsOnline, /v1/users/presence does include the JobId. That might be a source of confusion for the API article because in the endpoint’s case GameId does refer to the JobId and UniverseId is what the id of the experience is.

1 Like

So to confirm, the JobId is the specific server?