GetPolicyInfoForPlayerAsync - Rarely used function that allows for in-game Discord links

GetPolicyInfoForPlayerAsync

Using this function, you can easily determine if players can see external links, like Discord invites, Twitch channels, and Facebook profiles in-game. Gone are the days of praying you didn’t just tell an <13 user a server invite. Now, you can easily add a script to your game to show users social media links without fear of violating TOS.

As an added benefit, because only 13+ players can see external links, you can also utilize this function to determine whether a player has safe chat, or hide more mature content from <13 users.

Also, please note that I can’t guarantee using this function to determine whether you can show or restrict certain content is allowed under the TOS. I am only inferring that it is due to its Service’s description:

PolicyService helps you build gameplay components that can be made compliant… [t]his service is used to query information regarding policy compliance for players around the world based on age range, location, and platform type.

5 Likes

That would still violates ToS since you can’t include any links or anything similar in your game that could potentially lead players off-site. This doesn’t matter if they are above 13 or not, it’s still against ToS.

Not exactly. Adding social links to games that redirects to discord, twitter, youtube and other offsite websites is already considered this:

Adding it in-game makes no different aside from a developer poorly implementing it which could result in showing the links to players not allowed.

But just to play it safe, this is a gray area in the ToS so leaving the links strictly to your game page is much safer.

1 Like

I haven’t been able to find any information in the Terms of Use that specifically mention off-site or third-party content, except this:

Certain portions of the Service may include, display, or make available content, data, information, applications or materials from third parties (“Third-Party Materials”). You understand that by using the Service, you may encounter Third-Party Materials, such as third-party advertisements and promotional content that may be deemed offensive, indecent, or objectionable, which content may or may not be identified as having explicit language, and that may contain links or references to objectionable material. Nevertheless, you agree to use the Service at your sole risk and that we shall not have any liability to you for content that may be found to be offensive, indecent, objectionable, inaccurate, incomplete, untimely, invalid, illegal, of poor quality or otherwise.

While I certainly understand playing it safe, I don’t see why Roblox would punish developers for utilizing a service that:

• Is intended to be used to build compliant gameplay components
  • Has a function that specifically tells you if a user can see certain external links

Why would they allow us to gain this information if they don’t intend for us to use this information?

It’s in the community rules specifically:

I’m pretty sure the service exists for a reason, but the main problem with this is Roblox’s problematic moderation. I personally haven’t read much about other developers’ experience using it, so there’s no guarantees.

1 Like

I was reading through the terms of use, not the community rules, thanks for that.

The function’s page says checking whether users can see external links should be used for, “[a]ny experience that references external links”.

I interpret that as them saying that if you want to build, “compliant gameplay components” via this function, you are required to check whether users can see external links before displaying them in-game.

Based on their wording, I am confident enough to use this function to display external links in-game to my 13+ players, but I definitely understand if others aren’t willing to take that risk.

4 Likes

what’s this then? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

This is not true. The community rules were updated very recently to permit the use of PolicyService to check if you can display external links. See:

2 Likes

Well there is this I found:

its probably talking about scam games that are built around the idea of making the player go off-roblox, otherwise the rule would be useless

2 Likes

While I’m not allowed to go into detail, you are allowed to include a link to other social media platforms provided you use PolicyService. It’s better to use usernames or codes over links because they’re easier to read than links, additionally if you’re concerned about false positive moderations.

If you get moderated for a false positive, make sure to appeal it and cite the policy in the Community Rules that allows links to be shown with appropriate measures.

The Terms of Service doesn’t have any provisions regarding player policies, ToS is for other legal concerns regarding the platform. The Community Rules are where its located which is an additional valid source of policy which outlines expectations for you when on Roblox.

1 Like