Getting "Malformed data" error on startup

im also getting this, dont know how to fix it. haven’t tried reinstalling studio, but that might work.

1 Like

Getting this issue on release 600

It didn’t appear for me on previous releases

No running or forked scripts on server or client :^)

1 Like

I am no longer getting this error again. Version 601. Anyone else?

1 Like

Still getting it on release 601, even after restarting/reinstalling studio

I also noticed that it causes my text box to disappear, hopefully this helps narrow down the problem

2 Likes

I am also getting this error on release 601

1 Like

I have had this issue for about a day, as well as not being able to view chat bubbles or open chat while play testing.

Hmm, yeah, my chat box doesn’t work too when testing. I use the new TextChatService as opposed to the legacy chat service. Perhaps that is a cause.

1 Like

Looks like the Roblox Studio client just got updated. Can confirm that the error is gone for me, but now I can’t use playtest at all :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I was still getting the malformed data error and was just coping with the error message until the stars aligned

I saw this when I opened studio this morning:

Doing a clean reinstall of studio fixed this error^ and the malformed data error for me :‎)

Still happening

nov 30th 2023,
fixed itself for now?
version 0.603.4.6030571

19:18:59.795 Malformed data (18446744073709380163 != 524441) << chunk#15 data - ServerUtil:61

I’m getting a similar error and it’s preventing me from playtesting in studio. Tried restarting studio and still getting the error

*edit (uninstall and reinstall studio to fix)

I am also getting that exact same error and it will not let me play-test my game, and I am on the most recent version of studio. (I am not a regular rank, so I can not post a new topic that shows this)

(edit) after reinstalling Roblox studio, it is fixed now.

1 Like

Starting to get this on my game too, I thought it was my script’s fault until I saw this post.

1 Like

I also started experiencing this issue after my studio auto-updated

To be clear, if you’re getting this error after an update, the current solution is to fully uninstall and reinstall studio. We’re working on a bug in the installer that (occasionally) causes files to be missed or not fully downloaded. A reinstall will repair this.

2 Likes

Reinstalling Studio will fix this as you have already stated, it is a issue that can occur if the bootstrapper fails to download the extracontent-luapackages.zip file or it becomes corrupted during installation

Whoops I didn’t see this