Getting "Malformed data" error on startup

Anytime I hit Run/Play Solo/Start Server, I get a “Malformed data” error in the output console. Here’s a screenshot:

In text:

Malformed data (18446744073709381229 != 521241) << chunk#15 data  -  Server - ServerUtil:61
  Stack Begin  -  Studio
  Script 'CoreGui.RobloxGui.Modules.Server.ServerUtil', Line 61 - function initSourceCodeFolder  -  CoreScript - ServerUtil:61
  Script 'Script Context.ServerStarterScript', Line 26  -  Studio - ServerStarterScript:26
  Stack End  -  Studio

This occurs in any Roblox place that I open up in Studio. Existing game, new game, etc. Disabling all beta features did not fix this.

I am on latest version of Windows 11 with latest version of Studio: 0.597.1.5970668 (64bit)

Expected behavior

The error should not occur, or at least should give a more meaningful error message if possible.

19 Likes

I’m getting this same exact issue on windows 10
It seems to be because of the latest roblox studio update
but so far the error hasn’t been causing any issues for me

2 Likes

Just updated studio and started having this as well.

2 Likes

I just updated my studio and im having the same issue.

2 Likes

Running into this as well. It’s preventing me from running any studio tests.

3 Likes

If it’s stopping you from running studio tests, you can try using the Roblox Studio Mod Manager to target a different version of Studio.

6 Likes

October 11th version worked for me, thanks again!

4 Likes

I cannot replicate this issue: (same with Run mode)

What version are you running on?

3 Likes

I hope this gets fixed. Happens to me to.

1 Like

October 11th Version fixes the issue. Only in the wait and hopes now for them to update the newest version and revert this bug! Thanks

3 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

1 Like

This should be fixed, is anyone seeing this on 598 or later?

1 Like

I am no longer seeing this (confirmed I’m on 598 right now), thanks!

1 Like

Great, can you mark as solution? (Upgrade out of 597)

1 Like

I’m on 599. Out of nowhere this error appeared after me restarting the studio to update it. It appears on my last place I worked on.

Edit: Added screenshot

1 Like

I’m getting a similar issue. After installing the update, Roblox Studio apparently cannot load the core scripts and repeatedly crashes. Playtesting the game is impossible, because of mentioned error. This happens in any place. Error Message:
I have the most recent version of studio installed (as of 20/10/2023):

This is really annoying, since I literally can’t do anything at all. (Also saving the game, if the place is not on a Team Create server, also crashes and the changes do not save.) Please fix this as fast as possible.

Edit: Apparently it’s working for most other people? Why’s this happening?

Edit 2:
Video of the error happening:

2 Likes

After reinstalling the game, the error was fixed. To anyone still getting this error: Deinstall Roblox Studio from your system settings then reinstall it using the create page :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes I’m getting it on Version 0.599.0.5990470 (64bit)

1 Like

I am also getting this again. Gonna remove the Solved marker

2 Likes

Did you try reinstalling roblox studio?

1 Like